Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer freeze, HDD light on, P4C800-E Deluxe

Hello,

First of all: I'm a French speaking person. Bad English ahead. As a side effect it was also difficult for me to "google" for my issue as I do not know exactly what to ask.

For about two weeks now I have a serious issue with my pc.

In short: it freezes completely, with the red hdd light on but without any HDD activity. I have to turn the power off. I do not get any BSoD.

In detail:
    Config:
    P4C800-E Deluxe (1023)
    4 Sata HDD, two of them in Raid 0. The System is not on the Raid Array.
    1GB of ram
    Soudblaster Audigy LS
    Plextor Premium, PX-708A, 116A2
    nVidia 6800 GT Point of View
    XP home Sp2.
    Everything is up-to date with the latest bios / firmware / driver.

Two weeks ago I replaced my Audigy LS card with a X-Fi one. And the issue begins. Before the installation, I do not have any issue. The actual conf is exactly the same as it was before the bug occurred. The config was faultless for at least a month before the bug started.

After 10 to 15 minutes of up-time, the PC freeze completely with the red HDD light on, I have to turn the power off. When I turn it on, it will be good for the rest of the day. The issue only occurs once a day, or after a long (undetermined) power-off time.

I remove the X-Fi card and uninstalled all I can. Creative told me there no known issue between the X-Fi and my mother board. I do not think the X-Fi not its drive are the root cause. The fact it only happens once a day let me think it's a hardware issue, not a software one.

I run various stuff: Symantec, Panda, Addaware, Spybot, Seagate DiskDoctor, MemTest86 but everything looks fine.

Yesterday I replace the SATA cable and reload the bios default settings (then reconfigure it the way it use to be). The onboard sound cars is disabled in bios for ages. I will give it a try this evening.

As it only bugs once a day or so, it is not easy to test

I'm ready to re-install, or change some hardware, but I would like to be sure it will solve my issue. Format/install or expenses for nothing is not welcome

Many, many thanks in advance for your help !
    Last edited by CptDobey; 10th February 2006, 11:24.

Re: Computer freeze, HDD light on, P4C800-E Deluxe

I would start by installing the latest drivers for all your PC's hardware first.

Is there anything in the event logs that might point to a problem??

Comment

"Everything is up-to date with the latest bios / firmware / driver."

No, there is nothing in the event log.

Comment

Software is all up to date.

Now we need to start looking at the hardware of the machine.

First remove all non-essential cards from your machine, i.e sound, modems etc, etc.

Download burn and run memtest from http://www.memtest86.com/. This will test your PC's memory. Leave it running for a few hours.

Next

Download the manufacturers disk for your hard drives. Test each one of these and ensure that they are functioning properly.

Remove and clean all components contacts and clean the CPU fan and any other fans in your system.

Report back with results.

Comment

Please change the PCI card installation that used be the new card. There may IRQ sharing problem and this may help you to reslove this issue.

Regards,

Yuval
          Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

I have run many test (hdd, HDD S.M.A.R.T., memtest,...), and I found nothing.

Then I removed everything but the main components (2 hdd, 1 video card, 1 soud card, 1 dvd burner). I change some SATA cable. I also re-installed properly all drivers and remove the "not-used-anymore" ones. I also cleaned the prefetch directory.

The PC runs fine since saturday.

Sooooooooooo...
            It was either an incompatibility with a "not-yet" connected device such as the RAID array, or the CD burner, ... A "bug" in the SATA cable I changed. Or it was the power supply which is going badly. I do have the feeling the issue is the power supply.

I will re-connect the RAID array, but I will use another power source for it. Thus I will know better.

I will let you know.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Add in your extra cards and accessories one by one and see if and when it starts to fall over.

BTW is your power supply large enough to cope with the cards and drives that your have installed??

Comment

Working...
              X