VMs for playing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMs for playing

Does anyone who if theres anywhere than lets you use vm's such as server, exchange etc so you can play with them. Its just so I can try stuff out and learn. I know about the msoft virtual labs but I don't see vm's that I can fire up and do what I want. They seem to be setup for certain scenarios.

Cheers

Re: VMs for playing

There certainly used to be - here is the link for Exchange 2010:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5002

You should be able to find others using clues from the page
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This may be worth a look. TechNet Downloads
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Why not create your own.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ab-guides.aspx

Comment

The reason I dont create my own is that I dont want a vm that has an expiry time on it, not owning the software would obviously mean this. In saying that would it still allow me to use Server 2012 when the eval time is up, I will have a look at what the others also suggested.

Cheers

Comment

All are likely to have some sort of time restriction - typically 90 or 120 days - otherwise people might be tempted to misuse them
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes but are they totally unusable after the eval time, that's why I was asking for something hosted on virtual labs

Comment

Right guys, went down the eval route, installed server 2012 and doing windows 10 ent just now, quick question.

I would like to setup a static ip for the server but when I do this I cant get internet access so theres a routing problem, what am I doing wrong. Works fine with no static ip for the server.

Cheers

Comment

Can you post an IPCONFIG/ALL from the server when it has a dynamic IP, but it sounds as if the static IP you are assigning is in a different network to the router
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Hi there, Ive managed to set the vms up like this, server 2012 and windows 10 client are setup as internal network. I was then able to give the server a static ip and setup dhcp for my clients.

If you setup the network on the default for virtualbox which is NAT, virtual box seems to hand out an ip address that over rides anything you set in the static ip of the machine.

So everything is working apart from both vms accessing the internet but thats because its on a internal network, if anyone knows how to set this up so i can assign static ip to the server and so that the machines can access the internet then please let me know. Its def something to do with virtualbox and type of network.

Comment

How are your VM's configured?

How would they normally connect to the internet?

Are you using NAT on the NIC on the VM's?

Comment

The vms are setup as an internal network as if I leave it on the default NAT it seems to hand them an automatic ip in the 10.x.x.x range which I dont want, they way its setup the now works perfect but both machines cant access the internet as you would expect.

Comment

It would appear something else (your router) is dishing out the 10.x.x.x. IPs
                          Normally, put the VMs on an External network and give them an IP in the same range as your router hands out to other clients, with the router as default gateway
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                            It would appear something else (your router) is dishing out the 10.x.x.x. IPs
                            Normally, put the VMs on an External network and give them an IP in the same range as your router hands out to other clients, with the router as default gateway
                            You can actually configure how your NAT addresses are issued. On my VMware Workstation setup I have the capability to not only change the IP range but also tell workstation to use its own DHCP server to apply to NAT machines.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys, thought I would come back to this.

Ok, on Virtualbox, if I setup the network connections for Server 2012 and Win 10 vm to Internal network they can see each other, I can join the domain, all working hunky dory apart from cant access the internet but I assume thats because its setup as an Internal connection,

If I put both VM's back to NAT, they can then both access the internet but cannot see each other, they are picking up this 10.*.*.* address, I can assure you I have nothing handing out anything on that range, my router hands out 192 addresses, also why cant both machines then see each other.

Comment

Working...
                              X