Booting up OS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting up OS

Most modern Laptops no longer have CD / DVD drives, but most OS like Windows and any Linux still appear to be only available able on a disk. So how do producers of Laptops or even tablets manage to install Windows etc. on such.

Also is there another way of showing Videos, DVDs and music apart form flash drives with such Laptops and Tablets? I have used software to create an ISO of such as a Windows OS from a Disk, and then managed to open the ISO to copy the contents to a Flash Drive. But the flash drive would not boot up on a restart.
    Last edited by GordonSweet; 24th March 2015, 17:46.

Re: Booting up OS

USB dvd? We use them with non-networked laptops for image deployment routinely. Boot the device to a WinPE environment on a USB DVD, deploy an image from another USB HDD, boot internally and go.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool Use this to "burn" the ISO to a USB thumb drive. There is a download link under the Installation section.

Another tool that does the same thing is called Rufus. It need Dot Net Framework installed but it does run a bit faster than the Microsoft version. I use this to create my Tails USBs to help with making it harder for the TLAs.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks I tried it. Strangely the latest version Rufus 2.1 refused to cope with a Hirons boot CD claiming it was the wrong version of boot up.

The next problem is the producers of laptops such as various Dell and a new Toshiba I have seem to like to keep it a big secrets how to access then alter the CMOS boot up sequence to recognise a Flash drive first. No doubt partly due to the sort of people who use tablets, they alos keep them a secret!

Comment

It's the UEFI BIOS "protections". Only way I could get round the machine I got was to disable all the protections and allow everything to work. Need to get some money so I can purchase a new laptop and get to know these functions.

Does the older version of Rufus work? Have found that it does seem to have issues with some software that the Microsoft tool doesn't.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well I only tried the original Rufus and managed to create a bootable Flash drive for the Hirens Boot CD 15.2 which booted up on this Win 7 PC.

I have yet to try creating a Bootable Flash drive for Win 7 OS

We need to know the secret key sequences to access the CMOs before Window starts for such as Dell and Toshiba Laptops, or for that matter Tablets. That is such as the Del key or F2 needed for some PCs

Comment

BIOS keys are not normally a secret - for Make Model BIOS Key
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X