Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessing an FTP server and changing the remote drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Accessing an FTP server and changing the remote drive

    Hi,

    Im trying to automate an FTP download, the problem is that if I try and use standard ftp within Windows I cant specify the drive I am trying to connect to. Its not a standard FTP server so I cant setup an alias the FTP server is funning on a logical controller.

    If I use something like Filezilla I can specify the drive and see the files - the problem is Filezilla cant be automated.

    Any ideas of a solution? Or do you need some more info?

    Cheers

  • #2
    Re: Accessing an FTP server and changing the remote drive

    have you considered the use of tftp services versus ftp? if you are only wanting the user to pull something and not write back to the drive, it might be easier to use the tftp...

    if i had a better idea of what you were trying to accomplish, i might have a better idea of what might help your situation.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Accessing an FTP server and changing the remote drive

      Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      have you considered the use of tftp services versus ftp? if you are only wanting the user to pull something and not write back to the drive, it might be easier to use the tftp...

      if i had a better idea of what you were trying to accomplish, i might have a better idea of what might help your situation.
      Thanks unfortunately the ftp server isn't very configurable as its running on a logical controller. I don't think TFTP will work as you cant use authentication with it and the FTP server is running with authentication.

      What Im trying to accomplish is, being able to FTP to an FTP server and specify the drive and folder location to which the files are located. Once located I would like to download them to my machine.

      With Windows if I try and change directory to the drive and folder I get an error stating that

      ftp> cd d:
      550 S_dosFsLib_ILLEGAL_NAME


      But if I use an application such as Filezilla I can add the drive (ass displayed in the attached image)

      Hope this makes it clearer - thanks again
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Accessing an FTP server and changing the remote drive

        Been a V E R Y long time since I used one but how about something like GetRight or FlashGet (or similar) download manager. Programmable and you can enter authentication credentials etc.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Accessing an FTP server and changing the remote drive

          When in the root FTP window type LS. This will show the available directories, etc.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Accessing an FTP server and changing the remote drive

            Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            When in the root FTP window type LS. This will show the available directories, etc.
            That only shows you the folders\files within that directory, but thanks.


            Also with regards to Getright that works but Ive gone for CuteFTP as a solution. It does what I need and its reasonably priced. Bit of a cop out to be honest as I was hoping for a free solution but the time its taking me to investigate a solution could pay for cuteftp.

            Thanks guys!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Accessing an FTP server and changing the remote drive

              Originally posted by 5habbaranks View Post
              That only shows you the folders\files within that directory, but thanks.


              Also with regards to Getright that works but Ive gone for CuteFTP as a solution. It does what I need and its reasonably priced. Bit of a cop out to be honest as I was hoping for a free solution but the time its taking me to investigate a solution could pay for cuteftp.

              Thanks guys!!
              Yep and that's why you can't change directory to it.

              I presume that you are logging into the root of the FTP server?

              Tried a shortcut in the root to the relevant drive?

              Comment

              Working...
              X