Windows Duplicate Host names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Duplicate Host names

I have several Windows systems in two floors interconnected, both floors are in the same vlan, unique IP addresses but unfortunately there are a few duplicate hostnames.

I dont need any communication between the floors but communication is required within the floor and also to a DMZ server from all the pc's.

Because of this duplicate names issue, randomly "Computer Browser" & "Server" services stops on these systems as a result the communication among these systems within the floors also stops responding.

I need a solution, however withount any change in the network (vlan, routing). Can I isolate these systems (between the floors) such as disabling netbios/wins etc?

Re: Windows Duplicate Host names

Rename one of the computers of each "set". That is the correct solution.

Comment

This option is ruled out because some of the interfaces are connected to PLC. Is there any option that will prevent the netbios traffic from one floor to another?

Comment

Can you please explain what 'PLC' is? I know what it means from a business name perspective (Public Limited Company, as in 'Tesco plc'), but I'm not familiar with a system with that name.

By far the easiest method to fix this is to get rid of the duplicate names, as joeqwerty pointed out. More complex but just as valid is breaking the 2 floors into separate VLANs. If they don't need to communicate between floors but both floors need to be able to see a DMZ (and assumed an external gateway), then the VLANs and routing controls do exactly that. A DMZ is, in effect, just another subnet that you control traffic into/out of, and you already do that.

It's obvious you aren't using a domain system to centrally manage any of this, because duplicate names simply cannot be used. If there are any discussions about implementing a domain, even if you do separate the floors by vlans, the duplicate names issue will still require name changes before all devices can be joined up. Best to get that done now and beat the Christmas rush!
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
          Can you please explain what 'PLC' is? I know what it means from a business name perspective (Public Limited Company, as in 'Tesco plc'), but I'm not familiar with a system with that name.

By far the easiest method to fix this is to get rid of the duplicate names, as joeqwerty pointed out. More complex but just as valid is breaking the 2 floors into separate VLANs. If they don't need to communicate between floors but both floors need to be able to see a DMZ (and assumed an external gateway), then the VLANs and routing controls do exactly that. A DMZ is, in effect, just another subnet that you control traffic into/out of, and you already do that.

It's obvious you aren't using a domain system to centrally manage any of this, because duplicate names simply cannot be used. If there are any discussions about implementing a domain, even if you do separate the floors by vlans, the duplicate names issue will still require name changes before all devices can be joined up. Best to get that done now and beat the Christmas rush!
          I'm assuming PLC stands for "Programmable Logic Controller", which is a "computer" which controls and operates factory machinery, such as a drill press or a cutting machine.

Comment

programmable logic controller, it's sensitive so host name can not be renamed.

If I setup WINS in each floor and point it to them, can I limit the broadcase to each floor? Is there any way to implement MAC level access list?

Comment

hi, i'm pretty sure you could configure windows firewall to do this, block all outgoing and incoming traffic, apart from what you need.

Do these machines need internet access? You could give them static addresses on a different network.

You can disabled netbios as shown in the picture.
              Attached Files
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Seems to be a good solution. I hope it will bock all windows broadcast traffic which is killing "server" & "Browser Service" on duplicate systems.

Also is Windows firewall a state-full firewall?

Comment

According to this, yes.
                  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/n.../bb545423.aspx
                  I'm assuming your using Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and later
                  Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                  I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                  MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

The main duplicate names are on XP machines and I dont see much flexibility in the firewall rules. May be I need o define exceptions for allowed traffic and drop rest. Will it drop broadcast traffic as well so that duplicate names can co exist?

Comment

Working...
                    X