Optimal personal backup strategy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimal personal backup strategy

This is not a server backup question but more of a personal backup question. I have some valuable isos that I use to install and test software and I have backed it up to an external hard drive already that I also use to backup my main PC too.

I always have the paranoia that my drive will break down or corrupt the files and I will lose it all. Although nothing can be 100 percent guaranteed, what would be a good rule of thumb here in terms of backup strategy.

Purchase another external HD and backup these isos to it and use the newly purchased HD exclusively for them?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

Re: Optimal personal backup strategy

Really depends on your level of paranoia but a second drive is a good start (more if you need), alternatively a NAS box supporting RAID1 to save keeping two separate copies in sync
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

A NAS is definitely the easiest way to go. I've got 2 running now, both Netgear boxes with Seagate or WD drives in them for backup storage and home media DLNA services. Works a treat.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
        A NAS is definitely the easiest way to go. I've got 2 running now, both Netgear boxes with Seagate or WD drives in them for backup storage and home media DLNA services. Works a treat.
        DITTO. I have all my valuable stored on a cheap (well sort of) Netgear NAS 419 with 2 x 4TB in a RAID 1 with room for another 2 HDDs as the 4TBs quickly fill up. I also have them on my "operational" HDD. These are the ones I carry round with me on a day to day basis. Now being paranoid, I also have them stored on a stand alone USB Enclosure that is never used except to add more ISO or WIM files or utilities that I have a fondness for.

With the low price of storage now (I bought an 85MB, yes, MB HDD and it cost $10 per MB) there really is no excuse to run out of storage or to not have enough "backup" capacity. It is better to have too much than too little and lose irreplaceable stuff.
        Last edited by biggles77; 24th May 2014, 09:01.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X