Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automated Java Update - Distrubuted

Hello,

I am looking to make our Java updates automatic, but we want to do this on a wide range of computers within the office. Instead of getting the annoying pop-ups daily telling us that we need to update, we want this process to be downloaded and installed in the background without any user intervention, but we want this to be a running thing where a new version comes out and it will automatically install.

Anyone got any idea on how we can do this?

Re: Automated Java Update - Distrubuted

If you are using WSUS you can deploy third party updates:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ad...KqPY8ge0goH4Bg
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can also push Java using a GPO (which is what I usually do, along with Adobe Flash Player). It's pretty easy to create an .mst file with Orca that disables the automatic updater, and you'll only have to update the .mst when a new major version is released.

You'll still have to manually update the .msi and .cab file in the distribution folder and force the GPO to redeploy (although I guess you could create scripts to do that).

Comment

Do you know a reliable third party piece of software?

And with the deployment through GPO, do you have any notes in which you follow to do so, or know of where they can be found at all, I have had a hunt.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jyoungman View Post
          And with the deployment through GPO, do you have any notes in which you follow to do so, or know of where they can be found at all, I have had a hunt.
          Instructions can be found just about everywhere. Here's the procedure:
          1. First, download Orca, a Microsoft tool for editing .msi files and generating transforms (.mst files) from here
          2. Download the offline Java installer and extract jreX.Y.Z_nn.msi and data1.cab to a shared folder as per these instructions
          3. Open the .msi file in Orca and immediately select Transform > New Transform (since you want to generate an .mst file, not edit the .msi itself)
          4. Navigate to "Property" in the left hand pane and alter the following properties:
            • set JAVAUPDATE to 0 to disable the auto-updater
            • set JU to 0 to remove the option to re-enable updates
            • set AUTOUPDATECHECK to 0 to disable the automatic online version check during install
            • (you may want to set Mozilla to 1 to enable Java in Firefox)

These instructions can be found here (and in a lot of other places).
          5. In Orca, select Transform > Generate Transform to save the .mst file in the same shared folder as the .msi and .cab files
          6. Deploy jre<whatever>.msi and the transform with a GPO

Whenever a new version of Java is released, repeat the download/extract procedure and redeploy using the same .mst file.

Comment

Okay thankyou for this, I will give this a shot and feedback on this once completed.

Thanks a Lot!

Comment

If you have WSUS running, you can add Local Update Publisher to it.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X