Windows Copyrights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Copyrights

I was wondering what the legal position is regarding MS copyrights on the now many past versions of Windows, such as where MS appear to prevent suppliers from selling old versions they no longer support with updates.

Since most of the cost of buying any Windows obviously relates to the supplying updates, one could argue once MS cease to provide updates the contract between MS and the user is no longer valid, and they have no right to prevent anyone using copies of such.

Re: Windows Copyrights

Somehow I don't think that one will stand up in court....
    As an analogy, a book may still be in copyright even if it is out of print
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

it depends on what you mean and what you're trying to acheive.

just because, for example, windows XP is not going to get any further updates, doesn't mean copyright no longer applies (Like ossian said)

It also doesn't mean licencing obligations no longer apply.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

In case it hasn't been made clear above, you don't actually BUY a copy of Windows. You actually purchase a LICENCE to USE the software. The software is still owned by Microsoft.

Apple appears to be heading in the same direction with their hardware. Not good.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ah but like most objects most of the cost of a book does not over any support such as updates as with Windows.

Comment

It seems to me only the Yanks could dream up such a crafty licencing involving a contract they claim lasts for ever.

You pay them for a service of protective updates, which quite naturally no one can provide forever. But when they can no longer provide such a service, we are supposed to be bound by the terms of the contact presumably to infinity, yet MS are no longer bound by such terms.

Very strange way to do business, like the Yanks claim EVERYTHING shown on the Internet is automatically covered by worldwide copyright, unless stated other wise.

Comment

Allow me to humbly apologize on behalf of us "Yanks", for not allowing you to use grossly outdated software, which is really only good for playing older games and being magnets for malicious software. I wish you all the best in finding a better solution elsewhere.

Considering what XP cost when it came out, I'm pretty sure it comes to less than $10 per year. Sounds like quite the steal, considering what all you can do with it. Still, if you're looking for justification for using illegal software, I doubt you'll find it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax
                Still, if you're looking for justification for using illegal software, I doubt you'll find it here.
                Um, where exactly did anyone mention using illegal software? I still use DOS (could install 3.3 if I had a small enough HDD ) but I still have a LEGAL licence for it. MS don't do updates for it (unless you count 4.01 etc ) but I am still able to run it. The same for XP. If I still have it on a machine in 15 years time I will still have a LICENCE to run it. Software will not be illegal; may be a bit old but it sure will run quick on my watch size Quantum Computer.

So Bert, where is the illegal use or do I get an AGM-65 sent in my direction from a high because "if you're not with us then you must be against us" (quote from the playground bully with an abnormally low IQ).
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                  Ah but like most objects most of the cost of a book does not over any support such as updates as with Windows.
                  I'm not convinced that support is part of the price, or a consideration when you purchase an OS, nor is there likely to be anything in your original EULA you accepted promising any level of support or any duration.
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Um, where exactly did anyone mention using illegal software?
                    So, what would you call continued use of unlicensed software?

Comment

Illegal use of Windows is pointless as you dare not go online. If MS do not detect its use and keep sending warnings, you do of course stand a serious risk of hacking. But if most of the cost of Windows is not devoted to maintaining updates, how come there is such a massive amount of various free Linux software available like online.

I know of a number of boffins in our radio club who like us all use legal copies of Windows. But they think because they are experts in electronics and Amateur Radio they must know a lot about computers. So some refuse to accept any updates, one never closes down Windows on his laptop to keep several DOCs in RAM running. Another managed to wreck several old PCs by putting a vacuum cleaner inside each one, another hates PDF files.

These ‘ experts ‘ ignore the fact use of a PC has nothing to do with electronics, but is done from the keyboard, mouse and touch screen. Many Radio Hams seem to be jealous of the vast popularity of PCs and the Internet compared with the gradual falling interest in HAM radio. Almost every month I spend over an hour converting typewritten sheets into doc files for our club News Letter, because a long term HAM refuses to buy say a cheap laptop. When I suggested he bought one of the many cheap laptops available he replied “What would I do with it after I typed my articles?”

Comment

Illegal use of Windows is pointless as you dare not go online. If MS do not detect its use and keep sending warnings, you do of course stand a serious risk of hacking.
                        I am sure most illegal users of Windows go online quite happily, and even get some updates (IIRC MS allow unactivated copies to get critical updates, but not others). As for the risk of hacking, is there really much less if you use an illegal copy? (Not that I am condoning it - just asking)

But if most of the cost of Windows is not devoted to maintaining updates, how come there is such a massive amount of various free Linux software available like online.
                        I believe even Linux has updates, but it operates on the community model where people release their code for free. MS run as a business, and have found a market - people are willing to pay for Windows (or computer manufacturers are willing to pay to put Windows on their products) so MS charge what the market will bear. You do not have to run Windows and (with a lot of difficulty ) it is possible to refuse Windows on a PC and some people have even got refunds (but not a lot as the OEM price of Windows is very different to the high street box price).

I would put the pricing of Windows in the same way as pricing of most other items - people will pay for it so MS sell it. In the same way, everyone could buy a cheap car, but some choose to pay (a lot) more for effectively the same functionality. You could get a free Linux distro, but choose to use Windows.

As I said before, I do not think updates are considered when paying for Windows and MS have no obligation to release them (I guess a very few updates might be required to fulfil legal obligations, but the majority are effectively a bonus).
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
                          So, what would you call continued use of unlicensed software?
                          where in the license agreement does it say that you cease to be permitted touse the software after a certain period of time ?

where does that put my client who has been provided with 4 Windows XP Embdedded POS systems.
                          they didn't buy the syystems, the systems are owned by the vendor. are you suggesting my client is unlicensed by default ?
                          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I do know of cases where some were using illegal copies of Windows XP, and probably because they visited the MS site for some reason and were detected, they often received warnings from MS to pay the registration fee.

I would also be interested how they get way with including a reduced version of Windows XP on the Herons Windows repair CDs from below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDOWS-7-...item233720a21f

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                              where in the license agreement does it say that you cease to be permitted touse the software after a certain period of time ?
                              Where in the license agreement does it state ownership of Windows transfers to the user upon license expiration? I am simply arguing based upon information obtained in this thread. If you do not own Windows, but rather license its use, then why must you be told you are no longer permitted to use it when the license runs out? It seems like it would go without saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X