External dual layer DVD-rom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External dual layer DVD-rom

Does anyone know of any issues in setting up a dual layer DVD burner in a external 5.25 inch external IDE to USB drive bay under windows 2000
    Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Re: External dual layer DVD-rom

Set one up on a laptop without any problems, mind you it was running XP. You having problems? Make sure you ain't running old burning software as it might not recognise the newer drive.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks biggles, i'm beggining to believe this brand new sony is a dud

computer doesnt even see the rom drive . pc thinks its USB mass storage and even then it doesnt show up as a drive in "My Computer"

Comment

Is the USB box USB 1.1 or 2? Is the USB on the laptop 1.1 or 2? Seen problems with some USB 2 being connected to USB 1.1 (or was it the other way round).

Can you try it on another system (XP or 2000) to see if it works?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

ok i have finished my testing of it,, biggles its USB 2.0 on both machine and box ,, have tested it on Win 2K and Win XP. Now i have pulled DVD rom out and put it in a machine ,, seems to work fine. put a cd writer in the box it works fine. i dont know for sure but maybe some of these external bays dont support DVD-Rom drives even tho i have seen them. i mean like its only IDE to USB ,, you would think it would be upto the OS to determine what it is.

Comment

Would be nice if there was a universal standard with these things. So may different variations.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Would you believe i found out what was wrong and am quite embarrassed about posting this but hey what techie reads a manual on how to install a CD/DVD-ROM. Well this piece of information wasnt on the box or anywhere else that was easy to see for that matter. but this drive is incompatable with Atapi interface cards, making it incompatable with a external hard drive bay.

So here's a note for young players ,, make sure your rom drive is compatable with interface cards before u buy them for external drive bays. Dont take the guy's word for it in the computer shop.

Comment

Good point J0K3R!! Thanks for coming back with it. Just curious, but what was the make/model of the burner?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X