Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPS suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UPS suggestions

    We have a couple of UPS's in our Comms room but looking to replace.

    Historically we have APC software powering down the servers and another piece of kit inline controlling the phased switch on of various pieces of hardware when power returns.

    We're running a mixture of Physical (Windows), SAN (HP) and VM-Ware/Hyper-V so automated clean shutdown is essential.

    Virtual is the way we're going so configuring a phased power-up would be beneficial in terms on ensuring the DC's are switched on beforehand.

    The other dilemma is whether we look at a system that controls the comms/server sides, e.g. get the PABX/Routers/switches on before anything else so the infrastructure is live.

    Any suggestions/recommedations?

  • #2
    Re: UPS suggestions

    if you are using APC products and your using vmware, are you familiar with powerchute? this product/software combination will achieve what your looking for...

    PowerChuteŽ Network Shutdown: Reliable network-based shutdown of multiple servers.

    in addition, you should refer to this kb from vmware/esx to accompany that product:

    Installing the APC Powerchute Network Shutdown software on ESXi hosts (1007036)

    does that answer your question, or at least get you pointed in the right direction?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: UPS suggestions

      Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      if you are using APC products and your using vmware, are you familiar with powerchute? this product/software combination will achieve what your looking for...

      PowerChuteŽ Network Shutdown: Reliable network-based shutdown of multiple servers.

      in addition, you should refer to this kb from vmware/esx to accompany that product:

      Installing the APC Powerchute Network Shutdown software on ESXi hosts (1007036)

      does that answer your question, or at least get you pointed in the right direction?
      PCNS works great on Hyper-V and physical Windows servers too, however you need a Network Management Card for your UPS which doesn't come as standard on most APC units.

      The robbing so-and-sos also sell their rails separately, but I'll save that rant for another thread.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: UPS suggestions

        I recently purchased a Dell UPS which has a control module integrated into it. Extremely good price and am very happy with it - you also get the rails with it :P

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: UPS suggestions

          Originally posted by cruachan View Post
          The robbing so-and-sos also sell their rails separately, but I'll save that rant for another thread.
          dont remind me. i have two useless two-post mounts sitting in the corner because i was scammed the same way...

          but yes, it does require the card, but for what it offers i think its worth it. very elegant and simple solution to a problem for people running a large mixed p/v enviro.
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: UPS suggestions

            Originally posted by cruachan View Post
            PCNS works great on Hyper-V and physical Windows servers too, however you need a Network Management Card for your UPS which doesn't come as standard on most APC units.
            I've recently discovered this as well. They sell a UPS with 4 power sockets available but you are forced to spend several hundred quid on a management card so that you can manage all those devices, otherwise you can only manage, and gracefully shut-down, one in the event of a power outage.

            I'll be looking at other vendors when we replace our UPS devices and choosing someone who offers a usable device that offers built-in management for the same number of devices it is supposed to support.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: UPS suggestions

              Cheers all,

              James, yes we use powerchute already and a separate piece of kit to manage timing of the power to hardware when AC is re-established. Powering down is not an issue for us at the moment with Hyper-V and ESXi VM's also working.

              Looking and speaking with three companies at the moment, APC, UPS Systems and Riello.

              UPS systems don't offer a unit or management to control how power is phased whereas it looks like Riello and APC do but still early stages.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: UPS suggestions

                More on this, Riello's Powershield only works out of the box as client/server so there is no way for the UPS to trigger the Host or SAN shutdown unless using scripting.

                An APC (well the one we are looking at) can apparently monitor ESXI Hosts and SANs to automate shutdown.

                I read a lot about people utilising SSSU, more food for thought.

                Comment

                Working...
                X