Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for measuring accurate workload in support tickets.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for measuring accurate workload in support tickets.

Management tends to want to look at how many support tickets each person has closed. The problem is that often a single ticket includes multiple unrelated problems. Also, one ticket to install software could mean 1 computer or could be hundreds.

Does anyone have any advice how I could reform this ticketing system so that when management looks at the amount of tickets closed they will be able to see that the 3 I closed dealt with working on 200 computers while 8 that someone else closed only dealt with 7 computers and 1 printer?

Otherwise, as you can see they would think I wasn't accomplishing as much.
    Not unless they actually looked at the individual tickets, which won't happen.

Re: Ideas for measuring accurate workload in support tickets.

Pointy Haired Boss syndrome...

Create a new ticket for each computer and for each problem/installation.

Comment

lol, yeah that definitely would be the simplest solution.
      I just don't think that idea is going to fly with most of the others because of the work involved in creating that many tickets... It is a school district and rules for tech support are never enforced and therefore insufficient paperwork on who has done what.
      So I'm attempting to change that before I'm forced to find another job.

Comment

Well if the management is only looking at the number of tickets instead of the content and context of the tickets then I don't see any other way to do it. If it's strictly "a numbers game" then you have to put up the numbers, and the way to do that is to create a separate ticket for each computer/problem/installation.

Comment

Yeah, I do agree with you completely. Perhaps we can reform them to be only one problem/request per ticket.
          However, the amount of computers is a big issue to me. I've been the single tech at a high school campus that has upwards of 900 computers of it's own, while every other campus has 250 or less with their own tech.

I was trying to think of something to associate more detail that can be seen in a report. Such as number of computers involved.
          If the way other IT support structures account for is simply more tickets then I can try pushing more for that then.

Comment

Some of what it sounds like you need may be available as a customization inside the ticket system you use, but to be honest I doubt it. My own experience is that such info is contained only in the remarks/notes that a tech types in, not in a field which can be tallied.

Here's a thought: if your ticket system has a 'priority' field, maybe you could add priorities which ident groups of PCs (Pri9 for printers, Pri8 for 1-20 PCs, Pri7 for 20-100 PCs, etc.)

If your software is too basic to allow for that sort of customization, then chances are any 3rd-party app wouldn't help, either, as it would have to integrate in some way with what you already use. Or replace your current ticket software with something new, but that would cost.

Where you have to repeat the same actions for multiple PCs, doesn't your management understand simple time-&-motion figures? It takes 10 minutes to install this patch on 1 machine, times 900 machines, equals 18.75 man-days for that one task?
            *RicklesP*
            MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Hi, I would create tickets for everything that you do even for a passowrd reset, I agree that it's the only way to show the people who don't actually do the work what you have been doing. Usually managers look at stats from the ticket system and do trend analysis to see where your time is been spent most.
              We have templates for the majority of tickets which pre populates all the ticket information so doesn't take much time.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

What we have now doesn't really have that kind of functionality unless someone added custom functions. However we have the System Center suite including Service Manager, which I think is nice except there no mobile app for techs and the self service portal is silverlight based, which also doesn't work on most mobile devices.
                Otherwise the entire tech dept would need to learn ITIL basics. I've been learning it slowly on my own. Much of it applies more to larger businesses, but a lot could be applied to help keep everything running smoothly, even in a smaller environment.

If I can get the support of management, hopefully we can enforce a tech ticket for everything.

Comment

Working...
                X