Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a HDD Copy of Backup CDs

Hi,

We have over 3 hundred CDs over the past 6 years with data for our previous jobs. We work in a printing company and have to refer to the old files quite often.

I am trying to backup all of these CDs to a new 2TB Hard Drive. I have been taking the CDs, one at a time, and dragging its contents onto my hard drive. These seemingly backed up properly, until we tried to get something we needed.

The file is supposed to be a Quark file.
    The file is coming up as an .exe file that doesn't actually do anything. When we restore it from the original CDs, it works properly.

Any ideas on why this would happen?

Thanks
    Standard

Re: Creating a HDD Copy of Backup CDs

No idea, but as an option to copying content, consider making each CD into an ISO, which can be mounted as a virtual optical drive rather than files in the file system.

There are plenty of free (and paid for) ISO makers -- I like MagicISO but there are many others.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Creating a HDD Copy of Backup CDs

Theres also "Folder2ISO" which allows you to create a .iso from a directory tree, which is really handy
      Rules of life:
      1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
      2. Simplicity is godliness
      3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Working...
      X