Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT infrastructure advice

Hi there,

I'll jump right into it. My firm badly needs an IT infrastructure upgrade. We still have 9 year old PCs and some running Windows XP. About 1/3 of the computer are somewhat new and running Windows 7.

Our physical server setup:
    1 DC - AD/DNS/DHCP/FILESERVER
    1 BDC - AD and DNS replication/FILESERVER
    1 SQLS - NAVISION HOST
    1 RDP Server
    2 WEB SERVERS

All, but one server, run on Windows Server 2003 Backup is online based.

Exchange was migrated to Office365 last year. This year i want to host Navision and the two web servers in the cloud. That will make SQLS, RDP and the two web servers (physical) absolete.

I want to make the cheapest but also most future secure solution.

I'm thinking Virtualization and upgrading to Windows Server 2008 or 2012. Either VMware or Microsoft.

Example:
    PHYSICAL MACHINE 1: Virtual Server 1: Windows Server 2008 - DC/AD/DNS/DHCP
    PHYSICAL MACHINE 2: Virtual Server 2: Windows Server 2008 - DC/AD/DNS-replication/FILE- and PRINTSERVER

I can safely delete the existing AD, DNS and so forth before upgrading. What would you guys do?

Re: IT infrastructure advice

If you remove your existing AD, you will have to create a new one from scratch, join clients to domain etc. Is this wise?

Also best practice is not to use a DC as a file server (unless it is a RODC) as it weakens security
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

And is it a good idea to have more than a Hyper-V role on a physical server? There may be licensing issues if you go down the M-soft route.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Nothing wrong with having 2003 servers in place. We still have DC's running Server 2000.

I'm presuming your current infrastructure is working and causing no issues? If yes then upgrade it rather than re-create. It can all be done within a virtual environment and you can then take your time moving services to new virtual machines.

As for the server OS it will be a 2 step upgrade to Server 2012 from Server 2003 so I would start with Server 2008 R2 and get things running good on that then in a few months plan an upgrade to Server 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          If you remove your existing AD, you will have to create a new one from scratch, join clients to domain etc. Is this wise?

Also best practice is not to use a DC as a file server (unless it is a RODC) as it weakens security
          Well the current setup is old and poorly documented. There are no critical apps that would hold me back from creating a new AD from scratch. This would give me the advantage of getting rid of all the old and unneeded data.
          The AD policies also need a once over.

Yes you are correct. The DC should not be a file server. I will remember that.

Comment

Working...
          X