No announcement yet.

2 way folder Sync

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 way folder Sync

Thanks, it's a good one.
    Last edited by avilt; 1st June 2013, 10:53.

Re: 2 way folder Sync

I've got exactly that situation with 2 Win2003 servers over a VPN and have used Allway Sync ( without major problems
    Only issue is the software needs to run as a logged on user (on one server only -- the other has nothing installed)

Price was about $30 IIRC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Have you looked at the options available with the command-line tool 'xcopy'? You can copy only files that have been changed since the last copy (archive bit), or you can compare the dates of source & destination files to decide which one to keep, and so forth.

At a cmd prompt, run 'xcopy /?' and read the various options. Since it's already installed with the Server OS, it's free. Write a one-line bat file, and set up a Scheduled Task to run it regularly. Do that on each server, and make sure the scheduled task doesn't run on both machines at the same time, job done.
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Robocopy is pretty good. It even has a GUI version now - if only I could remember even half of what those options do.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.