Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server backup software

Good morning guys

I have recently installed a new server 2008 R2 AD/DNS/DHCP server. Unlike to old NT backup software of server 2000/03 the new server backup utility isn't that nice

can anybody perhaps recommend a server backup software that is
    1. easy to install/ use
    2. can backup systems state
    3. relative value for money

thanks

H

Re: Server backup software

Windows Server Backup is pretty un-intuitive compared to NTBackup, but it will do everything you want.

Backup Assist is a good and relatively cheap option. Symantec Backup Exec is probably the most common product, but the current version is (in my experience) just about the worst piece of software I have ever used.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I second backup assist. It's reasonable prices - between $99-$300 depending what you need.

Personally I use rsync standalone and back everything up to remote rsync servers running Ubuntu (rsync works out of the box), but you can also backup straight to amazon aws I believe, or of course with the full version you can backup to disk and so on.

Also backup assist has great reporting, can back up exchange and even individual mailboxes.
      David Silvester
      Systems Administrator

Comment

thanks guys

I assume Backup assist is working great with server 2008 R2 ?
        And it can do system state backups?

thanks for the postings

Comment

Originally posted by henkl View Post
          thanks guys

I assume Backup assist is working great with server 2008 R2 ?
          And it can do system state backups?

thanks for the postings
          Yes, it works great with 2008 R2, and 2012 for that matter.

Im pretty sure it does do system state backups, and it does image backups as well I beleive.

BUT I dont think you can do those with rsync. In my case, I only use rsync standalone, and I use just for data and mailstore.
          David Silvester
          Systems Administrator

Comment

As I understand it BackupAssist sits on top of Windows Server Backup, so can do pretty much everything it can. The only weakness IMO of BackupAssist is that it can't backup remote servers at present although apparently that feature is coming.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Yes, remote backup would be good.
              David Silvester
              Systems Administrator

Comment

Good day everyone

Thanks for the feedback. I have downloaded a free copy of Backup Assist and will give it a go.

I will in time provide some feedback.
                Best regards

Comment

Hi guys

Just to give some final feedback on the Backup Assist. it does systems state backups by enabling it under settings tab
                  I have downloaded the demo version and did some real benchmark testing. The software is really great and is so user friendly. File/ Folders as well as System protection works like a breeze. Restoring is so easy and convenient. Wizards for setup of backup jobs are excellent. The best of all is the price. Real value for money. Thanks to the members that recommended this product. I can also agree- it just works great!

Best regards
                  Henkl

Comment

Working...
                  X