Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharing 500 GB to a worldwide post-production community?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing 500 GB to a worldwide post-production community?

https://www.facebook.com/snowgumfilm...51474366504226
    Filmmaking and IT friends!

Say - for example - we need to upload roughly 500GB worth of data to spread through the worldwide TROLL BRIDGE post-production community... what would be the best way of going about this from Australian soil?

Currently we're choking the hell our of our little ADSL2+ connection, and we'd give a small nation of love to anyone who can come up with a substantially quicker and more effective method.

Beyond the marginal increase in cable, is this thing even possible from this little country of ours? Are we better off dumping the data to drives, shipping the drives, and uploading them overseas? At our current rate we're looking at weeks worth of uploading.

Any help or suggestions will be met with only the greatest of appreciation!
    So, any thoughts? Some have mentioned just shipping HDDs to their worldwide community, others have mentioned torrent syncing.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Sharing 500 GB to a worldwide post-production community?

Originally posted by Wired View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/snowgumfilm...51474366504226

So, any thoughts? Some have mentioned just shipping HDDs to their worldwide community, others have mentioned torrent syncing.
    Torrents would probably be the way to go. Else an FTP server.

Internet in Oz is pretty shocking at the moment. My cable connection keep dropping packets and speed is absolute s&*^e.

Comment

Find someone with an NBN connection and use that.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Find someone with an NBN connection and use that.
        LOL good luck with that.

Our suburb is quoted as 2016 for installation.

Comment

Torrents wouldn't work as it's only to their internal team (limited people to share the files, slow speeds). NBN was mentioned on the FB page. What IS NBN anyway?
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi, Opera Unite is supposably unlimited but you need the opera browser to upload the files, definitely worth a read.
            http://lifehacker.com/5472050/whats-...a-with-friends

Or potentially flickr for photos/videos. It gives you 1TB of free storage.
            http://www.flickr.com/new/
            Free:
            1 Terabyte of photo and video storage
            Upload photos of up to 200MB per photo
            Upload 1080p HD videos of up to 1GB each
            Video playback of up to 3 minutes each
            Upload and download in full original quality

Other than that the cost of hard drives is coming down all the time, I'd be inclined to box a few up and send them that way.
            Last edited by uk_network; 21st May 2013, 13:24.
            Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
            I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
            MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

What IS NBN anyway?
              National Broadband Network. Optic Fibre is being rolled out to 93% of the population and the rest in isolated rural areas are getting "high speed wireless" and Satellite. At present the speeds are 100 down and 40 up. By rollout finish in 2021 the speed will be at least Gigabit to the Home for those with FTTH. Once the fibre is rolled out all that is needed to increase your connection is an exchange upgrade and a new Modem. Phones will be connected to the fibre so the copper will be decommissioned. As a result of the phones/landlines running on glass, they are supplying each connection with a UPS because if you have a mains power failure then your "fibre phone" won't work either.

Just wish they would be passing my place. It is 5km (3 miles) down the road but I won't see any until at least 2016 or beyond. My bloody brother's got it and the moron is using the slowest speed the ISP provides. The id ten T.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What IS NBN anyway?
                I read this and went "oh, gold." then realised you aren't australian :P

as an option,
                rent a co-located server on a month-to-month basis where you can physcally get to the server to add data
                add the data to teh server
                upload the data using the co-locator's 100M+ speed, shut down the service when done.

( you haven't mentioned whether budget is a concern, or if it is a concern, what the budget is)

my thoughts are.. you really need to get it into a data center that has a relevant pipe.
                although that said, it may be cheaper to just post some hard disks around the place.
                Last edited by tehcamel; 22nd May 2013, 06:27.
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Have you looked at the co-lo pricing her in OZ? I did some time ago and it was ridiculous. It was a third of the price for me to get one in the US and get a Gig of throughput a month using their hardware (likely a VM) than to host here (my hardware) and get 100 Meg a month.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X