Installing Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Software

I have been informed by the sellers of certain Computer Languages Software that all such software must be installed in say the Programs Folder of Windows 7. It is claimed this is because of the Malware protection in this type of folder. One supplier has even claimed he cannot be held responsible if his software is not installed in such, although it appears to work and compile perfectly in another folder created.

But surely a reputable fully paid up antivirus should give you all the Malware protection needed anyway, and this is the reason why most software allows you the option to choose anywhere to install it.

Comments please.

Re: Installing Software

Normally the reason to install to a specified folder is that the application has hard coded paths in (or relative to) that folder. With 64-bit OSes there are two "Program Files" folders -- one for 32-bit (Program Files (x86)) and one for 64-bit

Personally I would install where you like and not worry

What is the software in question?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The two software involved are http://www.libertybasic.com/

and http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcbasic.html

I best not post publicly which has disclaimed responsibility for my Freeware if I do not install his software in a Win 7 Programs folder. Though I do have his email and any are welcome a copy if they contact me at [email protected]

My email address is always shown on my site anyway

Comment

So are they saying the programming languages can only be installed in C:\Program Files, or are they saying applications you write in them can only be installed there?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your interest in this. Below are all his comments on my queries. Unless you object I will pass your comments onto him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> But surely it is the job of the likes of a fully paid up > AVG to protect your PC from Malware.

Of course not, no. All AVG and other products can do is to help ‘supplement’ the other methods of protection - AVG didn't protect me from a major malware infection last year! You need to take EVERY POSSIBLE PRECAUTION to protect your PC, and ensuring that you install products to the their default location (usually under Program Files) is a vital element of that. > But I must point out I have far more programs such as > old DOS software on my PC that are located nowhere near > the XP Programs Folder So what are saying here? That because you can't or won't protect your DOS programs, you don't think it is necessary to protect your Windows programs either? That is utterly illogical.

> I have never had any complaints from the many distributors or users of my software, such as asking why my Freeware does not get installed in the Windows Programs folder.

I am surprised. But, again, are you arguing that because you haven't bothered to take this basic precaution in the past you should not do so now, when the threat from malware is much greater?

> It is only LB, JB and BBC4 software I am installing elsewhere to avoid presumably endless Admin warnings each time I run any of the Examples provided.

Neither LB (4.04) nor BB4W will issue any warnings if you run the example programs, when installed in the proper place. I made sure I modified all my example programs so that they would run correctly from the Program Files folder. It is most important that you install BB4W under the Program Files folder. I will not accept any responsibility for the correct operation of BB4W if you don't, and any programs you compile will be INHERENTLY UNSAFE and must never be uploaded to a public web site or distributed. I notice that Stefan has replied in much the same vein on the Liberty BASIC group.

>Then why do you and almost all other software producers >provide us with the option when installing LB and BBC4W >to install it anywhere we like?

Corporate PCs! It's very common in a corporate (company) environment for the PCs used as staff workstations to have configurations very different from what a 'home' PC would have. For example applications may need to be installed onto a shared network drive, or the user may not be given Administrator Rights at all (therefore making it impossible to install a program under Program Files).

It's basically exactly the same reason that when needing the path to one of the 'special locations' on your disk you should always call the 'SHGetSpecialFolderLocation' API rather than assuming an absolute path - they are not always in the same place! One of the best-known examples is that when installing a 32-bit application on 64-bit Windows it must be installed in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\' rather than in 'C:\Program Files\'.

It is unfortunate if you have only ever experienced 'home' versions of Windows. That would give you a very blinkered view of the variety that there is in PC configurations. I still have my old BBC R&D laptop PC that I purchased when I retired from the Corporation. That has its 'corporate' configuration which is very useful to me when testing that BB4W (etc.) will install and run on such PCs

Comment

I wasn't going to get involved in this but seeing some of the comments i might jump in.

Originally posted by GordonSweet
            I have been informed by the sellers of certain Computer Languages Software that all such software must be installed in say the Programs Folder of Windows 7. It is claimed this is because of the Malware protection in this type of folder. One supplier has even claimed he cannot be held responsible if his software is not installed in such, although it appears to work and compile perfectly in another folder created.
            What malware protection is provided when the software is installed in the Programs folder as opposed to other folders in your file system? Just because a "program" is installed in the programs folder does not mean that it is not malware. Just have a look at some of the toolbars that are used as malware these days.

A correctly configured system should be scanning in real time each and every file that is opened on your PC. This is what a real time scanner does.

Originally posted by GordonSweet
            But surely a reputable fully paid up antivirus should give you all the Malware protection needed anyway, and this is the reason why most software allows you the option to choose anywhere to install it.

Comments please.
            Anti-Virus is only one piece in the arsenal against malware/viruses/crap that is out in the wild these days. I personally run AV, Firewall, Malware scanners (at this time i have 3). Ultimately it is the end users responsibility to know what they are installing on their machines and protect themselves. Unfortunately you cannot be held accountable for stupidity.

I

Comment

If the owner of a computer just has to browse the Net, I will create an Internet account for them. The reason is the Internet account is setup as a User and not an Administrator. If you look at the Security Tab, using Windows Explorer, you will find that Program Files and the Windows folders (and sub folders) have Read and Execute permissions as a User but Full Control as an Administrator.

So, if the control freak, err I mean my user browses as an Administrator, any infected sites have Full Control permissions to do anything they like to the Program Files and Windows and the folders/file contained therein. This happened last week when the Ukash virus latched onto a laptop that was browsing UK educational sites. If I had initially set this laptop up, they would have been using the Internet User Account at the time and I would have had the messy task of removing the infection.

Yes there are tools online that can make the cleaning automatic if not very easy but due to the firewalls and proxies we hide behind, the sites holding these programs are not accessible and their software are not available.

i used to customise installations when Windows 95 arrived in the world. I soon changed back to the default install paths when it came time to reinstall the application due to functionality issues, ergo, it wasn't working. Trying to remember where I installed it became a pain so I went back to the tried and true Default Path EXCEPT I would change the Drive or Partition it was on. That is now the only change I make to and software installation now. I have a Reg Hack that will change the default default C: to D: or whatever drive you want to install it on.

It's a bit of a read Gordon but I hope with the above comments from my betters it makes some sense and pours twaddle on what you have been told by these people in your OP.

Fianally, it is not a good idea to post a live email address on sites, especially as popular as this one as they are scanned by spammers etc looking for addresses to send crap and virii to. I would suggest changing it to something like:
              gordonsweet2000 at yahoo dot co dot uk or
              gordonsweet2000 [at] yahoo [dot] co [dot] uk
              The latter does make it harder for those who are not as computer literate as some.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X