Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative backup solution - can anyone reccomend either of these?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative backup solution - can anyone reccomend either of these?

Hi all,

Im starting to get fedup with Backup Exec, currently running 2012 and there always seems to be some sort of issue. So Ive decided to investigate alternatives which do a simular "better" job. We have the small business edition to backup sbs 2008 (exchange 2007) and 3 others file servers.

The 2 products Ive started to look into are Yosemite Server Backup and NovaBACKUP. Just wondering if anyone can reccomend either of these products or better?

Thanks

Re: Alternative backup solution - can anyone reccomend either of these?

For SBS I would go with Backup Assist (plus the Exchange Add-in) -- 267 + VAT in the UK, and about 180 for the non-Exchange version
    Simple to set up, easy to use and excellent support, as I found the other day!

30 day trial, fully functional
    http://www.zensoftware.co.uk/
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      For SBS I would go with Backup Assist (plus the Exchange Add-in) -- 267 + VAT in the UK, and about 180 for the non-Exchange version
      Simple to set up, easy to use and excellent support, as I found the other day!

30 day trial, fully functional
      http://www.zensoftware.co.uk/

The problem with this product is you have to have the backup client(s) on each machine, and then additional backup devices. I like the backup exec method of deploying agents which then backup to the central console\device.

The search continues

Comment

Ah -- didn't realise agent deployment was required
        I would still contact BA as they do some sort of web management console for resellers to manage multiple systems (not just license state!) and it might be useful in your case
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

On almost all of our sites running Backup Exec we're still running 2010 R3, because 2012 is unfit for purpose. Bloated, buggy, hard to use and unreliable. And far more words that would earn me a forum ban.

If you call Symantec Customer Care they can give you a downgrade key, which saves the cost pf purchasing new software.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
            On almost all of our sites running Backup Exec we're still running 2010 R3, because 2012 is unfit for purpose. Bloated, buggy, hard to use and unreliable. And far more words that would earn me a forum ban.

If you call Symantec Customer Care they can give you a downgrade key, which saves the cost pf purchasing new software.
            Not just me then.

We are using it in our NZ office and it really is poorly written software.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              Not just me then.

We are using it in our NZ office and it really is poorly written software.
              From what I hear the reception to BE 2012 and how it was handled is what cost Enrique Salem his CEO position.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Learn something new everyday:
                If you call Symantec Customer Care
                I thought it was called Symantec Customer Don't Care
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X