Norton's Ghost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton's Ghost

i would like all of my new computers to be the same. Is it possible to use Norton's Ghost to replicate a harddrive of a laptop, copy it, and put that on a new computer so they would be identicle. If so, what would i need and how.

Thanks

Re: Norton's Ghost

Why not use Windows Deployment Services instead?

Comment

Yes it is.

You will get all the info you require here

http://www.symantec.com/themes/theme.jsp?themeid=ghost

I'm with Joe though and would rather use a free product than a paid one.

We use the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit to deploy our Windows 7 images to all of our PC's.

Comment

If they are to go into a domain environment, you must sysprep them before ghosting, otherwise you will end up with duplicate machine SIDs and potential problems.

Concur with above, though -- use Windows Deployment Services and all the associated tools
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks,

is the WDS only for domain computers? these computers are for non-domain.

Comment

IIRC WDS will only operate in a domain but there is no problem with preparing standalone computers

(please confirm this as I am relying on a vague memory)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

also the main reason for doing this is for the new computers to have the same settings as the first one, like gpedit, regedit. there are certain tweeks i need to do with every computer. I am assuming with the WDS, it's just going to push out standard OS.

Comment

No, WDS can customise an OS to any degree you want (look at some of the threads in the Windows 7 forum to get an idea)
                You can also clone a reference machine using ImageX
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

i have looked on several how to use WDS, i even have train signal video to show how to do. problem is when i try to install windows 7 image of of the WDS on server 2008 R2, it says that it is not a compatible image. As if the only image you can use on WDS is a server image.

Comment

How do you plan on deploying these images to your PC's??

You can create a customized install disk very easily:

http://lifehacker.com/5793427/how-to...or-usb-install

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

Using those methods, there are many, you can then put the relevant install on a USB key and install from that. The first link will show you how.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
                      If they are to go into a domain environment, you must sysprep them before ghosting, otherwise you will end up with duplicate machine SIDs and potential problems.
                      NQR, that is why GhostWalker is used to avoid that happening. Creates a new random SID on the first boot after image deployment.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Kobe,

Wullieb1 and Ossian both provide great information. You can most definitely use WDS which is a feature of Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2008R2 and 2012 to handle your deployments. Alternatively, and perhaps more simply, you could also take a look at the recommended MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit). Most of us like MDT because it acts as a common console to handle all of your deployments and can be easily updated to include new drivers, applications, updates, etc.
                        In your most recent response you had mentioned how you attempted to import an image in and it was unfortunately unsuccessful.

First off, you will want to make sure you are importing the image you want into either WDS or MDT. Since you asked about setting an image up with specific configurations, I thought I would include the following basic steps. To start, you would customize your reference system in audit mode and run sysprep /generalize with an unattend file that has the copyprofile setting enabled to prepare the image for capture. The copyprofile setting works by copying the default profile which is modified during audit mode and the Sysprep / generalize command removes all system specific information to allow the image to be installed on other machines. Next, you could either use MDT’s standard sysprep or capture task sequence or a capture utility such as ImageX. After you successfully capture your image, you could easily push it out with MDT, WDS or both.

To help visualize some of the steps I have outlined above, I recommend the following videos from the Springboard Series page on the TechNet site which explain the deployment process using MDT and WDS (in the 3rd video):

• Deployment Day Session 1: Introduction to MDT 2012
                        • Deployment Day Session 2: MDT 2012 Advanced
                        • Deployment Day Session 3: Deployment Using WDS

Finally, on the Deliver and Deploy Windows 7 Springboard Series page, you might also find the Alphabet Soup Deployment: Understanding MDT, WDS, the MAP Toolkit, ACT, ConfigMgr, and USMT video to be beneficial as well.

Jessica
                        Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Comment

Working...
                        X