Factory defaulting Servers and HD's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory defaulting Servers and HD's

Just wondering what people use to reset their servers, more specifically the HD data before disposal of the system.

Used HDAT but are there any others people recommend

Re: Factory defaulting Servers and HD's

Remove hard drives and keep them pending "proper" disposal with a angle grinder
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Or a big hefty brake press

Comment

Thanks guys, that would probably work if I was tipping them but we are selling ours on so I'm not sure the angle grinder and press is going to work.

Comment

Given the potential value of data on the server, I would think long and hard before selling them with drives in them (even if they have been wiped, there is still possibly recoverable data on them)

If you do wipe them, use a multipass wipe, and see if there is a factory low level format tool
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'd sell them with no drives installed.

You have to count the cost of the damage to your organisation if data on the drives is used for ill-gotten purposes.

Comment

Decided to go with [email protected] pro in the end because of the securting standards it supports.

On a related note would you say it is sufficient to use restore media for desktops to get them back to default. I know one of the tricks for file recovery is the ability to recover data where 'data references' have not been overwritten.

Comment

I would never let a drive (server or desktop) into the wild without as a bare minimum a multipass wipe (7 passes springs to mind), and even then I would think carefully about destroying the drive instead.

Even desktops cache information, e.g. word temporary files so a reinstall of the OS may well leave evidence behind
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X