Displaying Laptop screen on TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displaying Laptop screen on TV

I connected an old laptop to a wide flat screen TV with a VGA to VGA cable and set the TV source to VGA. It displays the laptop screen OK and any JPGs. But when I show Windows Media Player ver 8 with Win XP though the player showed OK it did not show the Video that could be seen on the laptop.

Should it be possible to show videos this way?

Re: Displaying Laptop screen on TV

Does it need to be WMP? what happens if you try with VLC?
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Thanks I will try VLC and post back

I should explain it shows as only 190 Mb of RAM. but videos still display full screen by presssing Alt + Enter

Comment

What OS is the laptop running, and what are the make and general specifications?
        What resolution is the TV running at?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The laptop is an old Twinhead Notebook P98 but unlike new notebooks I understand it does have a CD / DVD drive. I am running Windows XP, and the TV is 32 just HD ready

Comment

And the actual specifications (RAM, video...)?
            And the pixel resolution the TV is running at?

Note most new laptops (at least 15" and above) do come with a DVD drive -- CDs are very unusual but I am sure could still be specified if you really wanted the downgrade
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The actual pixels of the TV are not quoted only that is just HD ready. All I can see is the Notebook is about 190 Mb of Ram.

If the Notebook displays videos and at Full screen I would have thought the TV should do likewise just as it shows JPGs fulll screen.

Would the fact it is only using WMP ver 8 make a differnce?

Comment

what happens if you try and play the video not full screen? (and also, does the video display on the laptop screen??)
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks everyone

It makes no difference if the Notebook is full screen or not, no video shows only the rest of WMP.

Could it be due to the fact that the Notebook display shows the monitor is set at 60 cycles. So perhaps that does not match the TV. If so what is the cycles of a flat screen TV?

Comment

If you right click on the XP desktop and go to "properties" you will see the screen resolution the displays are running at, for example 640x480
                    This may be the same for both displays, or different for each.

As long as some display is appearing on the TV -- presumably it is -- the refresh rate will not be an issue -- it is only a problem if the TV screen appears completely black
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

I set the Notebook display to 1024 X 768. Is there any point in trying another display?

Comment

Can you see a second monitor and what resolution does that have?

In fact, can you see anything on the TV at all?
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

What if you close the laptop lid, or set it to only display on the external monitor and not on both?
                          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Is there a key combination that you need to press to get it to show on the TV??

I know on my Dell laptop i have to press Fn+F8 to divert video to an external screen or show on both depending on how many times i press it.

Comment

Working...
                            X