No announcement yet.

cannot block in chrome

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot block in chrome

I have a client that would like me to block gmail ( from their network.
    All my attempts to do so are thwarted by the very smart chrome browser, and only chrome.
    I tried to redirect via the hosts file, chrome ignores that.
    Using Trend AV on the desktop, tried using that parental filtering, no go.
    On the router simple domain blocking, and again is allowed.

Is there some special bypass of DNS network traffic that allows chrome access to gmail. There is some fancy footwork going on here, but only on domain, other traffic is blocked in chrome as expected.

(I do understand that this may be a security precaution/feature from google, but my client does not want gmail at all)

I think its a new development, have not found any mention of this anywhere else.
    Using chrome Version 22.0.1229.94 m

Can anyone test and validate my findings?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Re: cannot block in chrome

Not really tested it yet but there are group policy settings for Chrome around. One of them is "Block Access to a list of URLs"

This policy prevents the user from loading web pages from blacklisted URLs.

A URL has the format 'scheme://hostort/path'.
    The optional scheme can be http, https or ftp. Only this scheme will be blocked; if none is specified, all schemes are blocked.
    The host can be a hostname or an IP address. Subdomains of a hostname will also be blocked. To prevent blocking subdomains, include a '.' before the hostname. The special hostname '*' will block all domains.
    The optional port is a valid port number from 1 to 65535. If none is specified, all ports are blocked.
    If the optional path is specified, only paths with that prefix will be blocked.

Exceptions can be defined in the URL whitelist policy. These policies are limited to 100 entries; subsequent entries will be ignored.

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?