X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTML pages open with source code, and not my page :(

Hi All,

I hope you can help.

I have got some webpages that I use that when you open them, you can post data into the text box and then press send which posts the data on my behalf. This is used for diagnostics of code. However, when run from my local PC, rather than seeing my text boxes appear and working correctly, I see the html code in the window where the textbox should be. More irritating, is that if I move my file to a network resource, and run directly from the network drive, it runs and loads the page correctly (however the page doesnt work - but at least it visually appears correct).

I have had a colleague log onto my PC and the same error occurs for him, so it doesnt seem to be a profile level issue?

Can anyone advise what may be wrong?

Many Thanks

James

Re: HTML pages open with source code, and not my page

What browser and web server are you using, and what client OS?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Internet Explorer:

Web Server I am not entirely sure, but as a limited user on my network, I may not be able to find out.

The client OS, is Windows 7 x86 Service Pack 1.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

it';s not using server-side code to generate things by any chance is it ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi tehcamel,

I dont believe so, its a standard XML document inside a local page (see the attached for an example) just rename it to .htm.

I run this and it literally opens on IE as if I had just opened it in notepad.

However, if I copy it to a network resource and run it from there, it opens as it should with two text boxes, although I think it uses activX so even if I run it from the network it doesnt work as it needs to be on the local pc.

Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

could be trust or security sttings if it's got activeX, or xml..
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I thought that might be the case, but I have gone through and enabled on "internet" all scripts and controls but the issue continues.

Is there something I need to do, to say trust files on my PC, as well as the apparent trust it has for network files?

Thanks

Comment

Have installed google chrome and the issue is not present in google chrome, so it appears to be an issue on IE, however because I can use no browser other than IE I still need to fix this problem I have gone through and set all different security zones to enable everything and try and prevent the errors, however it hasnt made a difference!

Is there a way to reinstall IE8?

Thanks

Comment

Any chance of a pic of what it is meant to look like and what it looks like on yours??

I've ran it on 2 machines, one OSX and one XP and i get a box with your XML code, a submit button then a Check Response box. Clicking on the submit button throws up an error message (code is completely unchanged.

Comment

hi wullieb1,

Please see the attached, I can advise that after installing IE9 it immediately works from my local hard drive, however company rules forced me to return to the erroneous page appearance (dont you just love corporate rules?).

to confirm the first instance, was run from a network resource, and also appears this way when run via IE9. the second image is running from my C:\ drive via IE8.

Thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks.

Mine on all machines look exaclty like the first image.

The only thing i can think of s something in your IE settings but i'd ned to check on a macine that has IE on it (i'm on a mac now.)

Will check.

Comment

Working...
                      X