Client Access License question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client Access License question...

I'm installing System Center 2012 on a virtual server. Currently, we have 3 existing SQL servers (All virtual) that handle Microsoft Dynamics Solomon, a rental tool package called RTMS and a couple of other software packages.

I'd like to separate SCCM 2012 from the other SQL servers due to load and potential to be shut down within the next 12 to 24 months as we stream-line and replace physical servers.

I tried to install SQL Express but that bombed out on me so I'm going with the full bore SQL install.

My question is this, do I need CAL's for every computer that will be audited/accessed by the server?

I read that in System Center 2007, it only mattered for servers and exchange servers.

My current network is 20 physical servers across the US and international connected via hub and spoke VPN through SonicWALL routers.

Locally I have 2 physical servers and 10 to 12 virtual (3 or 4 are test servers).

CAL issues and Microsoft licensing have always confused me.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

Thanks,
    Todd

Re: Client Access License question...

Ive always been confused by all this but... As I understand it you would need seperate CALS per device in which you intend on managing with SCCM.

Comment

Are you asking about SCCM CALs (required) or SQL CALs (not required according to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...b-45188d40a184)

Note the only authoritative answer will be
      a) direct from Microsoft
      b) in writing
      c) most beneficial to you out of multiple answers from different people
      Last edited by Ossian; 14th June 2012, 16:22.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Are you asking about SCCM CALs (required) or SQL CALs (not required according to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...b-45188d40a184)

Note the only authoritative answer will be
        a) direct from Microsoft
        b) in writing
        c) most beneficial to you out of multiple answers from different people

I was asking about SQL CALs as relates to using for SCCM. As I dug deeper, I found that, as you showed, SQL is included with SCCM and no additional CALs are needed. Finding that tid bit was excruciating to say the least. Maybe it was lack of sleep, brain being mush or just me not paying attention, but it took me forever to find that.

Microsoft thoroughly confuses me on licensing issues... They need to simplify it for me. Unfortunately, they do not accept my advice...

Thank you for the reply!
        I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

Thanks,
        Todd

Comment

Agree re confusion -- note it is even less clear if you are using an existing SQL server with SCCM.

From experience, 3 different MS licensing people will give you four different answers
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by todd231
            Microsoft thoroughly confuses me on licensing issues
            Microsoft thoroughly confuses Microsoft on licensing issues!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	floggingadeadhorse.gif
Views:	5
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	466554
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X