No announcement yet.

setting up a windows server home lab?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up a windows server home lab?

Hello everyone,

I need advice setting up a windows server home lab. My plan is to do MCITP labs and prepare for exams. I have been watching youtube videos but i need more basic setup instructions.
    so far this is the plan:
    Windows Server 2003 R2 - Dell GX-745 Intel Pentium D 3.40Ghz and 2GB RAM.
    Windows XP Pro - Lenovo X300

Should I setup a VM lab?

Re: setting up a windows server home lab?

The best way to practice for these exams, in my opinion, is to definitely run a VM lab and go through as many scenarios as possible to gain some experience with the OS and networking applications.

However, based on the server's configuration, you will be very, very limited if you plan on running VM software on that box. At the very minimum, you need to add a lot more RAM. RAM is the key with regard to running numerous VM guests on the system.

It would also be preferable, not required, to install a 64bit OS on the HOST (your CPU would need to be 64bit capable) so that you can run both 32bit and 64 bit VM guests (VMWare and VirtualBox support 64bit guests as well as Hyper-V).

Virtualizing the lab will also let you be a lot more flexible and be able to build different guest machines very quickly. Again, the more RAM, the more VMs you can run at the same time.

VM software also allows you to create multiple network segments. YOu can build Windows routers and build a complete network infrastructure.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting

IMHO get a beefy desktop (quad core, 16Gb RAM) and install Server 2008 R2 HyperV edition, then you can run several VMs with about 2Gb each to simulate most environments
      Most official MS courses go up to 5 VMs at once

If you can afford it, get Technet Plus so full licenses so most products for testing / evaluation purposes, otherwise MS do a lot of prepared VMs you can download
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Train Signal Computer Based Tutorials. This is the best way you can get Instant Experience.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015