LAN Messenger recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN Messenger recommendations

Can anyone recommend some free messaging software that will work on a LAN? I do not want it to connect to the Internet, and I do not want one that requires a central server installation.

Been using Realpopup for a long time, but it has not been updated for many years. Although good, Realpopup has been crashing quite a lot recently.

Thanks!
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: LAN Messenger recommendations

I've had good results with SPARK/OPENFIRE:
    http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/
    http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/spark/
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There is not so much free lan messengers, I know only sourceforge.net/projects/lanmessenger/ only, also it's an open source project. But I recommend low cost commercial lan messenger - LanTalk because it's much better and easier in work and understanding.

Comment

Thanks, folks.

I would prefer something simple. We have no need to log messages, security is not an issue. It is simply so that staff can send brief messages and send links. Realpopup is perfect in this regard - no server installation, no logging to worry about, nothing kept. Minimum maintenance.

However, as you say, there does not seem to be much available, and I do not wish to crack the proverbial nut with a sledgehammer.

I will definitely take a closer look at your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Comment

I have Openfire/Spark running on the LAN now. Works a treat.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Glad you like it!
            Have you hooked it into AD and tried any of the plugins yet?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm still learning how to administer it. It was only installed this week after a short restricted trial.

I like the ease of use. I have not integrated it with AD but have installed the user import/export, broadcast, and subscriptions plugins. The subscriptions plugin will be very useful as it will remove the need for the two way authentication requirement when adding a new contact (overkill in our small environment).

I've been very busy so have not had time to look at it in depth. I have a week where things have slowed down, so have the opportunity to 'catch-up' but they'll speed up again next week

Comment

Working...
              X