accessing non bootable NTFS partition/s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accessing non bootable NTFS partition/s

Ok, I've a disk in a laptop that is failing to boot so I've placed it in a caddy and attempted to access it on my Windows 7 PC.

When it's connected it prompts me to initialise device first (which I suspect it would do). It's an XP NTFS laptop HD

I've managed to access partitions to some degree using a diag mount utility but where the data is stored it won't let me change the permissions, reporting the device is write protected. Though I suspect this might be the limitation of the software I'm using.

Having had a good look around for some software to access it and allow permission/ownership changing, I've not got that far and don't want to end up installing this and that.

Can anyone recommend a utility so I can access it and change the permissions/owner?

Thanks

BTW - this is what I've used to access the partitions http://hddguru.com/software/2007.05....ind-and-Mount/
    Last edited by marcopolo; 19th March 2012, 13:59.

Re: accessing non bootable NTFS partition/s

Have you tried something like Get Data Back? I think it is this one that has a free/trial version. Not had this arise before so i am playing guessing games but thanks for the link. I will try that out and see if it gets added to the virtual tool bag.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yep, tried that but no success.

If I simply plug the USB device in it does not appear in Computer and but does as unallocated in Computer Management.

I've tried Ubantu desktop, but no joy there.

The only way I've managed to access it so far is using that utility but I cannot change permissions.

I'm trying to locate another tool to boot of CD and maybe access that way to copy over to local HD
      Last edited by marcopolo; 20th March 2012, 15:45.

Comment

One type of boot disc that may help is WinPE. It's a basic Windows environment with tools like DISKPART that may give you an idea as to the status of your HDD.

Make the boot disk by getting the WAIK from M-Soft and following their instructions on how to make the disk. Boot from that disc, run DISKPART and 'list disk'. The HDD and CD/DVD devices should show up, as will any USB drives you've got plugged in. If the HDD is readable you may be able to recover your data, or use any of the other tools available in that environment to fix the boot sector.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Cheers RicklesP,

I ended up using testdisk 6.13 and re-wrote the MBR, did the trick and permitted setting the security/etc.

Comment

You're welcome.
            *RicklesP*
            MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X