Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple TV alternative in a PC

Hi all,

I have a customer that has a PC and a few monitors dotted around his gym. At the moment the PC isn't connected to the monitors (which are quite a distance apart).

What he has asked is that can we setup a system whereby he can play content to his members through the monitors a bit like Apple TV does. I've suggested that we use Windows Media Centre. I don't know much about WMC but as I understand it, it will play videos, music plus TV (with the right hardware).

Another question is, whats the best way to connect those monitors, very long VGA leads arernt really an option! They may have HDMI or DVI ports but I'm not sure at the moment. Is it possible to get converter sockets to convert VGA, HDMI or DVI to run down CAT5 cable by any odd chance??

ANy advice (or better ideas) would be much apreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

Re: Apple TV alternative in a PC

1.setup a new PC with VGA cable to the monitor.
    2. the new pc have cat5 cable
    3. play file through file sharing...

Comment

maybe an ideal use for RaspberryPi ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

There are loads of alternatives. XBMC maybe http://xbmc.org/
        You could also use cat5/6 to VGA/DVI/HDMI adaptors to get around the distance issue.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm sort of decided on the WMC route with VGA to Ethernet for the cabling.

Off to another part of the forum now with another question

Comment

Working...
          X