USB Printer won't allow computer to boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Printer won't allow computer to boot

I have two situations with user's computers where the computer will not boot if the USB printer is attached and turned on at the time the computer is booted. I have done all of the usual troubleshooting steps (i.e., upgrade BIOS, change BIOS settings, upgrade drivers, etc etc) and nothing works. If I unplug the printer's USB cable from the computer and reboot it will reboot successfully. Or is I attached the printer after the computer has booted it will boot up successfully. This matter isn't isolated to a particular type of printer as one is a Lexmark and the other is HP. The operating system on both is XP. Anyone that has experienced this and knows how to fix it please help.

Re: USB Printer won't allow computer to boot

Have you tried using a different USB port as the one you are using may be faulty.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I don't remember if I have done that or not. I will try it again and post the results.

Comment

Sounds like the boot sequence might have USB device in front of the hard drive,, have you checked the boot sequence in the bios

otherwise Some machines have a BIOS configuration that will not allow it to boot when a USB device is plugged in <<---- this is more than likely your problem
        try a motherboard upgrade
        Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Hi,
          thats very true check if it has a USB Boot Device has priority over HDD.

Regards

Comment

Just wanted to first of all say thanks to everyone that posted solutions to this problem. I found the problem to be a setting in the BIOS that had USB Emulation turned on. Once I turned it off the computer booted normally even with the printer plugged in and turned on. So just wanted to make sure that everyone had the solution as I hate nothing more than when a person posts to a forum, eventually finds the solution but never posts the results.

Comment

Thanks Bboyd. We appreciate the post letting us know what fixed your problem. You consideration may assist someone in the future that has this problem. Thanks again.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X