backup exec versions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup exec versions

Client has Backup Exec for Small business Server installed, on a dead server.
    I've been able to find and extract the BESERNUM file, so I've got the licence, hopefully. (They have no records, no cd, etc)

I've downloaded BE10d, but had a sudden thought.. what if it needs BE10 for SBS, not just BE10.. will my licence then break ?

Anyone know.. ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: backup exec versions

Symantec probably will.....
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      Client has Backup Exec for Small business Server installed, on a dead server.
      I've been able to find and extract the BESERNUM file, so I've got the licence, hopefully. (They have no records, no cd, etc)

I've downloaded BE10d, but had a sudden thought.. what if it needs BE10 for SBS, not just BE10.. will my licence then break ?

Anyone know.. ?
      I wouldn't have thought so. As the license will only activate a number of features. With SBS that will include a license for SQL,Exchange,Sharepoint etc. Plus you can install as many license files as you like. Back up the .lic file and try it. I have an NFR so i don't have that problem

Comment

AFAIK BE is BE no matter what, and the features are dependent on the license. We have NFR, but have used the same media to install BE Small Business Edition with the appropriate key. Of course, that's the 2010 editions. 10D is pretty old.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

besernum.xml file wasn't accepted as a licence
          now i might need to get the old drive mailed back to me so i can dig further looking for it

or at least get in touch with the old it dude

wow.. this is just a comedy of errors. Looks like he has be12.5 RAWS on the other server, so it's actually not be10d..
          awesome.
          Last edited by tehcamel; 8th February 2012, 22:46.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            besernum.xml file wasn't accepted as a licence
            now i might need to get the old drive mailed back to me so i can dig further looking for it

or at least get in touch with the old it dude
            The license file is usually in a .slf format. At least it is with BackupExec 2010 although IIRC 10D may have used a .lic file.

Comment

Might be worth a call to Symantec. If it isn't retail (I.e. Boxed product) they should have a record of the license registered to the company and be able to give you a copy.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
              X