Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux

The creator of one of the computer languages I use at http://www.libertybasic.com/ is developing a new version capable of being run under Linux. There are so many versions of Linux on the web, amazingly many for less than some 7, but which version try? I have an old PC spare I could try Linux, but would installing it enable me to remove all trace of Windows XP such as formatting the drive for Linux?

Re: Linux

Many versions of Linux are free

You can dual boot to linux or replace your existing OS
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. Being an old PC I seldom use I would be happy to remove Win XP. But will installing Linux remove Windows or must I try to reformat the drive using the Windows CD, and then stop it before it tries to install Windows again?

I have never found a way of refomatting a modern drive, since DOS 6. does not recognise modern large Drives.

Comment

Linux will handle the reformatting as part of the installation process
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would suggest Ubuntu, as being one of the friendlier versions.
          But yes - there's no need to pay for most versions of linux.

go straight to www.ubuntu.com and download and burn the CD..
          you can even run it straight off the cd to get a feel for it, without blowing away your Windows XP installation.
          (You cdan't install programs, or save anything, but it'll give you an ieda)
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I tried 2 failed attempts to install Ubunbtu. One with a CDI burnt after waiting nearly and hour on our slow broadband to download the ISO, and the other with a 2 CD from EBay. Each time it was not until it took some 30 minutes to try to install Ubuntu into RAM for evaluation, it shows a silly error regarding the desktop. It was not until I found further information, I discovered it needs 512 Mb of RAM and the old PC I am trying only has 128 Mb. I could not be bothered as suggested to remove the Drive and install it in another PC with sufficient RAM just to install Ubunto on the drive.

So as suggested by a friend who had similar trouble with Ubuntu, I have sent for a 1 CD with Suse. I can see from information on a site it has a far more sensible installation. Unlike Ubuntu, it first displays a menu allowing you to not only decide whether you want to first evaluate it in RAM or install it on the drive, but also you can first check you have enough RAM. Ubuntu does not allow you to first check for sufficient RAM before installing, and when it fails at still does not show the problem is insufficient RAM.

However I am assuming I should use the partitioning Suse suggests when installing it alongside Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
              I tried 2 failed attempts to install Ubunbtu. One with a CDI burnt after waiting nearly and hour on our slow broadband to download the ISO, and the other with a 2 CD from EBay. Each time it was not until it took some 30 minutes to try to install Ubuntu into RAM for evaluation, it shows a silly error regarding the desktop. It was not until I found further information, I discovered it needs 512 Mb of RAM and the old PC I am trying only has 128 Mb. I could not be bothered as suggested to remove the Drive and install it in another PC with sufficient RAM just to install Ubunto on the drive.

So as suggested by a friend who had similar trouble with Ubuntu, I have sent for a 1 CD with Suse. I can see from information on a site it has a far more sensible installation. Unlike Ubuntu, it first displays a menu allowing you to not only decide whether you want to first evaluate it in RAM or install it on the drive, but also you can first check you have enough RAM. Ubuntu does not allow you to first check for sufficient RAM before installing, and when it fails at still does not show the problem is insufficient RAM.

However I am assuming I should use the partitioning Suse suggests when installing it alongside Windows.
              If you're going to run low spec machines like that id suggest either Puppy Linux or DSL (Dam small linux). (They're KDE if i recall though not GNOME like Ubuntu) They have a ridiculously tiny footprint and will run on almost anything. You can use GRUB to dual boot but i wouldnt encourage that as most will run from a liveCD/USB stick or better yet virtualise it. And there's no need to pay for ANY Linux distribution. Certainly not for desktops anyway.
              Last edited by scurlaruntings; 8th February 2012, 11:59.

Comment

Thanks many others have also stated it should not be necessary to pay for Linux like some of the prices at http://www.linuxdownload.co.uk/index.php . But you have little choice in an area of slow broadband like this, when it can take an hour to download the ISO file for burning. Besides the Suse CD coming from EBay is only 99P !

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                  Thanks many others have also stated it should not be necessary to pay for Linux like some of the prices at http://www.linuxdownload.co.uk/index.php . But you have little choice in an area of slow broadband like this, when it can take an hour to download the ISO file for burning. Besides the Suse CD coming from EBay is only 99P !
                  DSL if i recall are around 50MB. Puppy is about 100MB or so. Even over a slow link that should be accomplishable these days.

Comment

I have finished my attempts at trying to understand Linux. As a result I personally would strongly advise anyone who has never used it before or does not have someone to explain it to them to AVOID trying to use it. Some fool on a site expounding the virtues of Linux is pretending it being free etc will one day take over Windows. I very much doubt it.

To begin with because it is free along with much of its software, there are many different versions of it, and its software produced by many different countries. As a result you find you are inundated with all sorts of software and files most it with names that make no sense, hence you have no way of knowing the purpose of most of it. Windows is of course controlled mostly by one English speaking company namely Microsoft, therefore it is mostly easy to understand, such as Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer etc. Another problem Linux is best installed on a PC like a MAC on its own.

If you are tempted to install it on a drive with Windows, you will not only need to choose which you want to use every time you switch on, but there is no guarantee installing Linux may not delete some of the Windows files! Furthermore unless you have considerable knowledge of setting up partitions you may have difficulty in removing it afterwards. Hence there are a number of versions that run from RAM, or even have to run from RAM before you get the option of installing it onto a hard drive. However you will find unlike some versions of Windows. Linux often needs up to 512 Mb of RAM to install it.

I also found it far more difficult to install software, unlike Windows where most of its software is installed just by clicking in a single file whereupon you are taken through a variety of options to choose. I have yet to fathom out how once new Linux software is installed how to remove it like Windows programs using its simple Add or Remove Programs . If you are running Linux in RAM then of course if you may not be able to save the changes, so it should all vanish once you close down Linux. Most annoying is often when you have say difficulty in installing something or getting say a music or video file to run, they even suggest you type in some complicated codes. This is rarely needed with Windows unless you are an advanced user.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                    X