No announcement yet.

Widescreen TV

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widescreen TV

I have been at last persuaded to buy a lovely new Sharp 32 in Flat screen HD ready TV to replace a CRT one. But I was annoyed to discover that although the Freeview programs can be set to automatically only fill the whole width of the screen with the AUTO picture setting, and revert to 4:3 if not produced for widescreen, no such setting is available on my old Skydigibox. This means I have to manually change the picture setting from 16:9 to 4:3 for any old program not produced for widescreen, or put up with all the faces being squashed and stretched etc.

Also I understand NONE of the later Sky boxes such as Sky+ have the AUTO screen settings or an HDMI port, which I believe solves the problem. Is this correct? Only the new very expensive HD box combined with a new 12 month contract solves the problem.

Re: Widescreen TV

You might get more luck on one of the links here:,cf.osb&cad=b
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Widescreen TV

Thanks. The Sky Forum was actually my first port of call, but I cannot get any sense out of them. However I did get junk mail from Sky offering to sell me a Sky+ box along with their Broadband, with of course no info on the box.

I am stll waiting for someone with ANY Sky box to tell me if any have the AUTO picture setup or a HDMI port apart from the expensive HD box.