Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant create new ASP.NET project

Hi,

When I open Visual Studio .NET and create a new ASP.NET project in the virtual directory 'RecipeSite' I get an error message as shown in the attached screen shot.

Any sorta help wud be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
    Attached Files
    Be nice to geeks. You might end up working for one!

Re: Cant create new ASP.NET project

Do you have IIS installed? Do those locations exist? Are you logged on as an admin?

I know these are obvious things to check but lots of people get caught out by the obvious
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Like Tony said is IIS installed? The reason he asked is that the error message you're being presented with indicates that VS.net was unable to contact the webserver in order to create the project.

In my experience it is much easier to get things rolling if you install Frontpage Extensions (you don't need to tweak the permissions) if you're using an external server. If you take a look at your screenshot you'll see the option for it there.

If you have IIS on your workstation don't add Frontpage Extensions because fileshare works best.
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yes I have IIS installed...

Yes Im logged in as Admin

And yes those locations exist...

I even tried running the aspnet_regiis.exe tool and it said ASP.NET has finished installing.

Any more idea's ??

Comment

Hmm i had something similar and i tried the same things. Got it working by formatting my PC. Or should i say when i decided to format my PC, i was able to Install Visual Studio 2003 and create an ASP.Net project.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
            Hmm i had something similar and i tried the same things. Got it working by formatting my PC. Or should i say when i decided to format my PC, i was able to Install Visual Studio 2003 and create an ASP.Net project.
            I think u mean u formatted ur "HDD" . Thanx tonyyeb but I cant afford to format my HDD right now...

Comment

Originally posted by Dsypher
              Yes I have IIS installed...

Yes Im logged in as Admin

And yes those locations exist...

I even tried running the aspnet_regiis.exe tool and it said ASP.NET has finished installing.

Any more idea's ??
              I still recommend using Frontpage Extensions. This is usually a problem with permissions. Each time I've had this occur in the past Frontpage always worked when fileshare didn't.

Here's a screenshot of my permissions on wwwroot on my home server which I've never had a problem creating file based or frontpage projects in VS.net 02/03/05.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ahinson; 30th November 2005, 08:20.
              Andrew

Comment

I installed the Frontpage server extensions from Add/Remove Windows components.. Is there anything else I need to do before I can start using it??

Thanx

Comment

I installed the Frontpage server extensions from Add/Remove Windows components.. Is there anything else I need to do before I can start using it??

Thanx
                  In IIS goto the properties of the default virtual webserver and make sure it's enabled.

There will be a tab in the properties page.
                  Attached Files
                  Andrew

Comment

I think my version is an old one... oops

Here's what I see
                    Attached Files

Comment

I think my version is an old one... oops

Here's what I see
                      Download the newer version.

Frontpage Server Extensions
                      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...02_x86_ENG.exe

Security Patch
                      http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...client-eng.exe
                      Andrew

Comment

Ok guys I found the solution for my problem here

Thanx 4 all da help guys !

Comment

Well done Dyspher and thanks for posting your solution back here.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes well done for posting the solution. Hopefully anyone with a similar problem will appreciate too in time.
                            Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Good catch there Dyspher. I guess this explains why it gave me problems with Fileshare and not Frontpage.
                              Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X