Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foxpro 2.0 Database with ASP - how to connect from external source to internal server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxpro 2.0 Database with ASP - how to connect from external source to internal server

Here is the connection string that an internal developer has made for a website that is currently hosted on Windows 2003, running IIS6, utilizing the FoxPro 2.0 Database (their accounting system uses this - yes it's old!)

The connection string used in a .ASP page is that of:
    -------------------------------------------------
    dbPath = "G:\f\Pro30\data20\arFile.dbf"
    set cnn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    cnn.Open "Driver={Microsoft Visual Foxpro Driver};" & "SourceType=DBF;"&_
    "SourceDB=" & dbPath & ";" &_
    "Exclusive=No"

The scenario would be different if it were an MS-SQL database with:
    oConn.Open "Provider=sqloledb;" & _
    "Network Library=DBMSSOCN;" & _
    "Data Source=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;" & _
    "Initial Catalog=myDatabaseName;" & _
    "User ID=myUsername;" & _
    "Password=myPassword"
    ... such that I can choose the Data Source IP address and Port Number.

The question is... if we would want to move this website to an external provider, obviously the accounting system and the DBF files are not moving. Is there any manner in which an external Windows web-server (say Rackspace Cloud Server, GoDaddy, etc) could request the FoxPro Data-source as though it had an IP address (to the office - port-forwarding firewall to a web-server) as though it was a SQL server (through that of a TCP port?) or some other software that could process it (running on the internal server at an office)?

In other words, the local bandwidth at the office is broadband based but certainly not that like of an external server.

Re: Foxpro 2.0 Database with ASP - how to connect from external source to internal se

Someone else might be able to advise as to how you could achieve this, but my personal view would be that such an event could be treated as an additional driving factor towards replacing the current legacy system with something that will function in the way you want and can be covered by a support contract - given the age of your current system, I would imagine that it isn't?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
    X