X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iomega eGo Encrypt Plus external drive

OK Guys

This is my situation:-
    Have purchased a number of these encrypted drives. We are a W2K3 house with XP clients. We have implemented a number of security policies through AD to stop users plugging in "non-issue" usb devices. We need these drives for our senior staff who move around.

When you plug in the drive - software has to be loaded onto the local PC. Our users do not have admin priviledges over the box - security no-no. Is there any way that I can allow our users to use the device say using a GPO or some script, but at the same time maintain our security integrity.

Thanks in advance guys...
    Sugevad

Re: Iomega eGo Encrypt Plus external drive

could you not deploy all te required software, via gpo, to all the computers?
    It wouldn't matter if it's installed where it's not necessrily needed.

then, take your policy that locks down usb devices, and filter it so it applies to only a specific group of senior managers.

then, your managers can plug in the drive, and the sfotware is there so they dont need to install it.

if someone else plugs in a drive (even a same sort of drive) it won't work..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks TehCamel

Reply much appreciated. Agreed the solution you provide would work - however - we have 40 users with these disks and over 3500 PC's. A lot of overhead for just 40 people. Having said that - I'll wargame it out with my team leaders and keep you posted.

Again much appreciated.

Sugevad

Comment

Shouldn't be any more overhead than for 10 PCs -- create a GPO to deploy the MSI and it will go across your domain
        Create GPO, Test in OU with a few PCs, confirm deployment and link GPO to domain and, as they say, Robert's your father's brother
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian

Thanks man. We're in the process of testing out that procedure - oh and correct me but isn't Dick my fathers brother.

Sugevad

Comment

urge to say something inappropriate...... rising...
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X