Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [WSS3] Rights problem top nav bar.

Hello,

This problem is hard to expain but I'll do my best.

I'm asked to build a Sharepoint with different sites and seperate rights for each site. I have made AD groups and gave these groups rights in Sharepoint.

So far so good, each group that has rights on a site sees that site in the top nav bar and the ones they can't access aren't shown. This is good since the top nav bar couldn't fit a 1280x1024 monitor anymore with all the sites visible in it.

But when I give the users design rights on a site and they open that site the top nav bar suddenly displays all the sites on Sharepoint. They aren't accesible so it isn't a security risk but it looks sloppy. This can be explained because the design right gives you rights to alter the top nav bar for that site.

In short:
    The users usually have 3 to 5 items in the top nav bar, when they click a site they have design rights to, all 10+ items are displayed. When they go back to a site they only have read rights to it goes back to the initial 3-5.

What can I do about this?

Using:
    - Sharepoint Services 3
    - Windows XP/7 clients with IE8/9 in a Windows domain
    Last edited by Fr0ns; 15th November 2011, 11:16.

Re: [WSS3] Rights problem top nav bar.

I tend to allocate enhanced SharePoint priveleges to an adm account. However, design priveleges are sometimes allocated to the user's normal account.

How are you allocating the design rights. I take it that it is per site?

Is the Top navigation for all sites inherited from the Parent site?

Do you have one Site Collection with all sites within there?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      I tend to allocate enhanced SharePoint priveleges to an adm account. However, design priveleges are sometimes allocated to the user's normal account.

How are you allocating the design rights. I take it that it is per site?

Is the Top navigation for all sites inherited from the Parent site?

Do you have one Site Collection with all sites within there?
      Thanks for the quick response.

The design right is given to a certain AD group. Inheritance from the top site is off. Design right in this case is the default design right as it is defined in Sharepoint Services 3.0. This is done per-site.

Top navigation is inherited from the parent site, I thought this was necessary because all users have different permissions so all users have a different looking topbar.

Every subsite is part of the parent site. Every subsite is one level below the parent site. There are no sub sub sites.

I hope I made some sense in my reply

Comment

How many users are granted Design rights? What is your Site Collection structure. Are all the sites in one site collection and web application?

Comment

Moving to Misc forum unless anyone thinks of a better place!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            How many users are granted Design rights? What is your Site Collection structure. Are all the sites in one site collection and web application?

Multiple users over multiple sites. Some have design rights on one and read-only rights on the other.

Approx. 20 users with design right and 80 with read rights spread over approx. 10 sites.

I don't know how deep you want me to go on this but it's a basic Sharepoint installation with 9 workspaces next to the main site / workspace.

Maybe it's the translation from Dutch to English that makes up for the confusion. There are 10 workspaces (or sites as it seems to be called in the Dutch version). The other 9 are subsites/workspaces of the main workspace.

Comment

Working...
            X