Avoid users COPY data they have READ ONLY permission​

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid users COPY data they have READ ONLY permission​

I have a NAS Device for Company Archive Backup.

I added the users from the ADS and they are accessing fine But I have some problem with user permissions. I only grant READ ONLY permissions my shares... But the users are able to COPY Data from the Shared Folders. I donít want Users to COPY Data form the Archives
    Any one has any thoughts? Please help me to avoid user to COPY data even though they have READ ONLY permission.

Thanks

Re: Avoid users COPY data they have READ ONLY permission​

Moved to Misc forum until you give us a clue which OS is involved

Read permission always allows copy. There is no way round this unless you implement some form of rights management services.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,

Thanks for reply

I am using Windows 2008 R2 & 2003 SBS in different locations.

Thanks

Comment

OK, I'll leave it here for the moment
        Since you have Server 2008 (presumably part of the SBS domain) you could investigate (carefully) the AD RMS role and see if it meets your needs -- warning, it could be a lot of work to implement.

Question: Why do you need to prevent copying files? Does this extend to opening files and using SAVE AS to make a copy?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,

Thanks for Quick reply

I dont have much idea on AD RMS Roles. Can you help me how to do or etc..

Archive data in the File / Folders not to copy the files in to their systems.Bcoz this DATA is some business critical. For users to only READING?? ( We Donít want allow user to COPY data in to their DISKs)

Thanks

Comment

As said, read permission implicitly allows a copy to be made, so there is no technical way to stop them. You should have HR policies and procedures to make it a disciplinary matter to copy files this way.

RMS is a big topic and you will need to study it and probably set up a Proof of Concept. There are many tutorial links:
            http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&cad=b

Depending on the urgency, you could consider hiring a consultant to analyse / plan / implement a solution.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

HI Tom,

Thanks for your reply

Let me check the RMS and try on one of my servers

If i created HR policy some one leaving the company they dont care all these HR policies and procedures. They are copying IMP archive data and leaving the company

Anyway let me try some with RMS

DO we have any third party tools to restrict USERS to avoid COPY.

Thanks

Comment

There are tools that disable clipboards or remove options from menus, but these will apply globally, not just to one device.
                http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&cad=b

If users are abusing company policies, fire them immediately.
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I remember about 5 years ago, finding a white paper in a printer room, about something called a "display-only" or "view-only" file system. the concepts went somewhat over my head at the time, but I more or less understand what it was trying to do.

I havne't been able to find that white paper again, but a quick google search did find me this:

http://www.rether.com/index.php?opti...d=72&Itemid=75

It looks, on the surface, like it may meet your requirements.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Stoping users making copies is almost impossible, as what is to stop the user Highlighting all text, and Cutting and apsting to a different Doc.

About the only way I can think (Without use of 3rd party software) would be to create a Website, and disable Right Clicka dn Clt Functions, then load everything up in HTML.

Of coruse that does not stop users screen shooting it.

Other then that, normally Adobe is used for this type of thing.

Watermark and Encrypt the Document, they can not make a Copy, can not save as, and as its watermarked, if they do take it to a different company, they would be fired (at lest I would fire them, do you know what the fines for IP theft are?).

Other then that, you have to put a level of trust with users, as it is impossible to stop someone stealing IP if they want. Even if you only allow them to read it, then can bring a camera in and take photos of the screen.

My rec, Use sharepoint and Adobe, Sharepoint to record who downloads what document, and Adobe to watermark and encrypt them. Then wheny ou fire someone, you can check tehre access logs, or if someone leaves, and if there is anything no right in the logs, you can question, and if needed launch legal action.

And to Sum up, No, it is not possible to stop users from coping data without using 3rd party software, or RMS (which can takes days of setup work).

But I 2nd Ossian, if you think any users are stealing from your company, fire them and call the police, as it is just as illegal to steal a car as it is to steal IP (easier to prove the car sadly).

Wofen
                    Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
                    X