Imaging & Backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imaging & Backup

Does anyone have any recomendations on imaging software to back servers up with.

We are currently using Acronis but I need to buy 24 licenses and I've been quoted around 30k which is on the steep side.

Re: Imaging & Backup

Imaging is definitely not the same as backup and some applications (Exchange in particular, but also AD) do not take kindly to being imaged.

Sorry, no helpful recommendations on imaging products -- Acronis is nice but, as you say, expensive!
    Look at BackupAssist as a traditional backup app -- much cheaper
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I use and recommend a Snap shot ult called... Drive Snapshot!
      http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

We use this becuse its Cheap, fast and effective (can image 99% of computers while running with no interuption to services (Inculding Exchange and SQL)), but I have a single license that I have on a USB key, so I do not know if you would need to get 24 License, but contact the owner and he will get back to you quick smart.

It also ahs a full command line options that allow you to brick level backups on live systems in a matter of Mins, as well as being able to proform Incremental and Diff backups, Backup to network drives, and works on any Disk Format (at lest all the ones I have tried (Fat, Fat32, NTFS, GPT, XFS).

But this is NOT a corperate grade application, as it has no Centre Control, and can only be remotly admined via PSexec and batch files.

Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

Well if it does what I need its a hell of a load cheaper than what I'm currently using.

Do you know if you can restore the images to different hardware, or is this a like for like restore only?

Comment

The only limitiation on it (and one that is slightly annoying) is that you have to back up to a disk of the same size or large. So sometimes its annoying trying to restore LARGE raids, but you can Mount the image from its current location.

Wofen
          Good to be back....

Comment

Please be aware that, when Imaging:
            a) Exchange does not see it as a backup so does not truncate log files
            b) AD will image but if you restore, computer accounts may be "out of step" with where AD thinks they are and therefore may not authenticate.
            Imaging is a DR facility, but definitely not a replacement for backups
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X