Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I report on my enterprise Windows licenses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I report on my enterprise Windows licenses?

Is there a method or tool which I can use to collect information about which Windows licenses have been deployed in my environment?

Or do I have to log onto each and every server for this information?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: How can I report on my enterprise Windows licenses?

We use LANSweeper for this.

It has a free version as well as a paid version.

You could also look at the VAMT 2.0 tool from MS. I have it scan our domian and it will give me a list of installed OS versions.

Comment

Does Windows still collect licensing information?

Good documentation is probably the best start.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

MS will only tell you what you have bought, but it is important for us to figger out how many, and of what type, of licenses are currently out there as some machines may have been decommissioned but their licenses have not been reclaimed.

I'd love to know which tool MS uses to audit enterprises! Thanks for the responses.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

How about SCCM/SCOM -- they will audit usage, then you check against purchased licensing

By documentation above, I meant records you keep of deployed / rebuilt / decommissioned machines, not just license purchases.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have you even looked at the response i posted or did you just ignore it???

Install the VAMT 2.0 tool and run a scan on your directory and it will tell you exactl what licences youo have installed in your environment.

or

Install LANSweeper or similar tool and allow it to collect the required information.

Comment

Working...
            X