Document backup schema and procedure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Document backup schema and procedure

Anyone know of a good guideline on how to document backup schemas and backup procedures? We're completely revamping our backup schema and of course it needs to be documented.

Yes, Google failed me
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Document backup schema and procedure

I've got some stuff at home, I think
    I will look tonight, and if so, find a way to send it over to you after sanitising it a bit
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

As far as the DR procedure goes, make it idiot proof. I always assume the notes will be handed over to an IT literate person (I have been kidnapped by aliens or similar) and if they can follow them, I can probably do so too, even at 0300, with a hangover, and with the CEO breathing down my neck because their muppetPad(tm) isnt picking up emails from the crashed exchange servers
      Also include copies of any media, drivers and product keys you might possibly need.

For the backup procedures, make sure you include recording backups, verifying contents and testing they actually work!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Screenshot using SnagIT would be a good idea. Can be a bit time consuming but it does help make it idiot proof having screenshots of what the various stages actually looks like.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks tehcamel, looking forward to seeing those docs.

Ossian: Yeah, assuming they'll be used for SAS 70, future techs, and idiotic days Previous guys had no notes. Took a while to figure it out.

biggles77: Yep, screenshots are a must, but why the hell does everyone use SnagIT? Never had a problem with normal screenshots or Windows 7's snipping tool + MSPaint.

Comment

Snagit cuts so many phases out of the loop -- capture and snip and store in one operation
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X