Problems with excel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with excel

People on our network have been having problems when saving Excel files to network drives. Excel wants to save them in a temporary file with some arbitrary number as a name and no file extension. We are having trouble figuring the cause of this out. You can rename the file to .xls and the file is fine but it seems to be happening more and more. Permissions have been checked and several other things have been looked at. The thing is is that the problem is intermittent so we are having problems figuring it out. Can someone tell me why excel is doing this?

Re: Problems with excel

Make sure your default file save locations are set to the correct network drive. youll find it in the options. Might help to solve your problem.
    Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Originally posted by yomattus
      People on our network have been having problems when saving Excel files to network drives. Excel wants to save them in a temporary file with some arbitrary number as a name and no file extension. We are having trouble figuring the cause of this out. You can rename the file to .xls and the file is fine but it seems to be happening more and more. Permissions have been checked and several other things have been looked at. The thing is is that the problem is intermittent so we are having problems figuring it out. Can someone tell me why excel is doing this?
      Are these opened from e-mail attachments or just new excel workbooks?
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hello,
        I am also having the same problem with Excel. After saving a file on the network drive, for some reason, the filename is changed from let's say "strange.xls" to "400A1430". I cannot figure out any rhyme or reason for this change. It will happen right before your very eyes! If I didn't see it change for myself, I would not have believed it. Also, the Date and time stamp for modification is updated to the time of the name change from the actual time and date that the user last saved the document.

The network server is running windows 2003. When I save the excel file to my local hard drive, the file is not disturbed.

Any ideas on how to combat this strange Excel issue would be appreciated.

Thank you!

jvmino

Comment

Working...
        X