Internet explorer browsing history

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet explorer browsing history

I am looking for a way to prevent users from deleting the browsing history or logging it in a different location in Internet explorer on windows 7 and win xp machine. This is a workplace environment and the browsing history is set to auto delete in 20 days but for some reason(I suspect the employees are doing it) the history is cleared on a daily basis.

I have googled it and there are instruction on how to edit the registry in windows XP to make the delete history button greyed out but that is all that I can find.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Internet explorer browsing history

It may be help you.......

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    " DreaM is not what u saw in Sleep,
    DreaM is that which not let u Sleep "

Life is Beautiful..!!!
    `.) Always
    `.(`.) Keep
    (`.). Smiling!
    `..
    Raj only raj

Comment

It's Sunday arvo (and cold) so I can't be stuffed looking deep into finding a solution but I would suggest if you are running an AD environment then you should be able to restrict the deleting with a GPO setting.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

More to the point, WHY do you want to prevent them from doing so if there's already a policy in place that does it every 20 days?
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
          More to the point, WHY do you want to prevent them from doing so if there's already a policy in place that does it every 20 days?
          Because we think they are browsing sites they shouldn't be while at work and we want to prevent that. It's hard to take disciplinary actions if we do not have proof.

Comment

Using something completely under their control isn't a good way of doing it. Best to use a 3rd party app and/or something on a server. With your current methodology there's nothing to prevent them from using a proxy or using an anonymizer site.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I could still use some help with this. I have found posts on how to disable the delete browser history button- http://www.tothetech.com/tips-tricks...g-history.html but after following the steps the button is still there and seems to work as usual.

Am I missing something?

Comment

Are you running an AD environment or a workgroup?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, we are running and AD environment but sadly not every local machine is logging in through AD.

Anyone know of any software that will run on our DNS/DHCP server to log what machine are going to what websites?

Comment

Originally posted by AaronBHS View Post
                    Yes, we are running and AD environment but sadly not every local machine is logging in through AD.

Anyone know of any software that will run on our DNS/DHCP server to log what machine are going to what websites?
                    Install a proxy server in transparent mode and you won't need to make any changes to the clients.

Can i please ask why you have domain clients not logging into the network.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                      Install a proxy server in transparent mode and you won't need to make any changes to the clients.

Can i please ask why you have domain clients not logging into the network.
                      We don't have all domain clients logging into the network at this point because of a couple reasons. For some reason about a year ago I would get some AC/DC error when I tried to add a workstation to the domain. Since then I have also added another server since we were having some DHCP issues with Server1. We also have a problem with users logging in to the machines locally and not onto the network. I would look into some way to prevent that but if there is a server issue and I cannot get connected through the network it is nice to have the local Admin login. Lastly we are a non-profit Animal Shelter that believes that IT isn't important even though we have 37 workstations, 2 servers, a phone system over the network, and several printer/copy machines so I only get 10 hours a week to care for it all. I don't usually have the time to delve into the big issues so if things are mostly working I don't mess with it.

That being said, I think if I move AD to Server2(is there wa way to export your AD user list?) that is running our DHCP/DNS that might fix the "AC/DC" error I get when I try to add a workstation to the network. Any opinions on using 1 or 2 servers to do DHCP, DNS, and AD? FYI currently Server1(win server 2003) is running AD and Server2(win server 2008 ) is running DNS and DHCP.

Thanks for any and all help.

Aaron
                      Last edited by AaronBHS; 9th June 2011, 21:38.

Comment

Going off topic, but you "move AD" by promoting another DC in your existing domain, then demoting the original
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by AaronBHS View Post
                          We don't have all domain clients logging into the network at this point because of a couple reasons. For some reason about a year ago I would get some AC/DC error when I tried to add a workstation to the domain. Since then I have also added another server since we were having some DHCP issues with Server1. We also have a problem with users logging in to the machines locally and not onto the network. I would look into some way to prevent that but if there is a server issue and I cannot get connected through the network it is nice to have the local Admin login. Lastly we are a non-profit Animal Shelter that believes that IT isn't important even though we have 37 workstations, 2 servers, a phone system over the network, and several printer/copy machines so I only get 10 hours a week to care for it all. I don't usually have the time to delve into the big issues so if things are mostly working I don't mess with it.

That being said, I think if I move AD to Server2(is there wa way to export your AD user list?) that is running our DHCP/DNS that might fix the "AC/DC" error I get when I try to add a workstation to the network. Any opinions on using 1 or 2 servers to do DHCP, DNS, and AD? FYI currently Server1(win server 2003) is running AD and Server2(win server 2008 ) is running DNS and DHCP.

Thanks for any and all help.

Aaron
                          I think you should start devoting time to get the system running correctly the next time your in.

Start by running netdiag and dcdiag on the server and come back here with any errors. There will no doubr be someone here who can help.

A little tip though is that 9 times out of 10 AD issues can be resolved by looking at your DNS settings. Your server should point to itself for DNS resolution and have forwarders setup for all others. Clients should then point to your server only.

Comment

Working...
                          X