Bad sector repair tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad sector repair tool

I'm looking for a simple and free hard disk repair utility that I can boot from, whether USB stick or CD/DVD since the disk cannot boot to Windows.

I remember using UBCD, but are there any others you'd recommend?

Thanks

Re: Bad sector repair tool

an original windows cd in repair mode?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Download the diagnostics disk from the drive manufacturer ad use that.

Please ensure that you backup fully before hand as usually the first sign of impending drive failure is bad sectors.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        an original windows cd in repair mode?
        Did think of that but this Laptop comes with HP compressed media so there is no Windows CD/DVD and because it's OEM a standard version will not work.

Just found a tool called HDAT2 so I'll give that a go and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Download the diagnostics disk from the drive manufacturer ad use that.

Please ensure that you backup fully before hand as usually the first sign of impending drive failure is bad sectors.
          Since I cannot boot windows my options are limited, hence repairing/moving the bad sectors using a boot tool is my starting point before I consider replacing the drive.

Once done and booting I'll use Clonezilla to create image and restore

Comment

Does the mchine have any built in utilities? Most HP and Dell machines that I've seen have at least hard drive tools built in to the BIOS.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

UBCD has built in cloning tools if you want to try and take an image *before* you do any repairs. It will also have the manufacturer's disk diagnostic tools on it so well worth a go.

Comment

Do NOT repair bad sectors because it means the platter(s) are defective and are failing. This will only get worse and in time you will lose the whole drive.

As suggested above, save your data and then purchase a new HDD, transfer the data to it and then scrub the old HDD of data or better still pull it apart. The magnets are really good for polarising screwdrivers and getting them to pickup screws and other non stainless steel objects.

If the HDD is still under warranty, run the manufacturers diagnostic tools and then fill out and RMA form and return it for replacement.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
                  Since I cannot boot windows my options are limited, hence repairing/moving the bad sectors using a boot tool is my starting point before I consider replacing the drive.

Once done and booting I'll use Clonezilla to create image and restore
                  What do you mean your options are limited???

Just about every disk manufacturer has a diagnostic tool that runs in a DOS/*nix enviornment and doesn't need windows to do anything.

As for data recovery you can use any Linux Live CD to transfer your important docs from the failing drive to another external drive.

You do of course backup your data to an external drive anyway so will only have a small amount that you need to transfer

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys I appreciate all the prompts. Only really needed advice on a decent tool but I'll pass all the do's and don'ts onto my Sister and Brother-in-Law because they never listen to my 20+ years IT advice LOL.

Comment

wait, what?

20 years, and you ask about disk sector repair tools?
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                        wait, what?

20 years, and you ask about disk sector repair tools?
                        Yeah, cut me some slack I'm getting old and forgetful

Comment

Marco, he is just a young lad, well sort of, and probably doesn't know about Stepper drives, MFM or RLL controllers.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

nope, I remember MFM drives. we had one of those in our first computer. \
                            it had an 8bit ISA controller, 2 cables, one was the same width as a 5.25' floppy drive, and another that's a bit wider.

it was 41MB, and due to FAT limitations, had to be formatted as 8/33GB.

We also had a utility to park the heads before the computer was turned off.

this would have been in roughly 1988, and i was still using te drive in 1998 to boot-strap a linux box because the bios wouldn't recognise the CHS in the IDE drive, so i couldn't boot it.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              Marco, he is just a young lad, well sort of, and probably doesn't know about Stepper drives, MFM or RLL controllers.
                              Lmao, MFM and RLL, that brings back memories. And what about ESDI lol

I remember the head park utility, I used to run that also.

Comment

Working...
                              X