Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcserve and TCP timeout issue

Hi, folks

I am using Arcserve 12 to backup our data. I do a differential backup Mon-Thur and a full backup on Fri. We use a LTO3 external drive attached via a SCSI cable to the server on which Arcserve is installed. All data that is backed up is also stored on the same server.

What started out as an intermittent problem has now developed into a permanent and serious issue.

A full backup spans two tapes. We do not use an auto-loader (they are way too expensive), so I change the tape manually. Therefore, there is a gap between the first tape finishing (about 1am on Sat morning) and the next tape in the session being inserted which is usually a couple of days later on Mon morning. This always worked fine.

Recently, Arcserve has been encountering a TCP timeout (system error 10058 - WSAESHUTDOWN -- Cannot send after socket shutdown) when connecting to the tape drive about 20mins after the second tape has been inserted. This weekend I changed the tape the following morning, about 6 or 7 hours after the first tape had been filled and ejected. The same system error message was logged. When Arcserve encounters this error it fails and reports E3392 'Backup server TCP reconnection timeout'.

You can read all the gory details and what has been tried here on the CA forums. I have had some useful help so far but the problem persists.

The timeout error 10058 is the result of a request for the tcp socket to be closed. I have no idea what is making this request.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be responsible for this or how I might track this down? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Arcserve and TCP timeout issue

The only thing I can see from that thread you linked to is that someone suggested my first thought and you didn't comment whether you tried it or not. Have you got all the latest ArcServe service packs and updates installed?

We had a client with ArcServe experiencing similar issues that went away when the latest service pack was supplied a while back. T

We have however switched most of our clients to Backup Exec because it didn't have these kinds of little issues -although it does have a few of its own.

Comment

I must have forgotten to answer that. Yes, Arcserve is completely up to date. I use the Arserve Patch Manager to check for updates every few days.

Thanks for replying.

Comment

Did CA support advise you to wipe and create a new database? That used to be our second to last resort when all else fails and often fixed problems.

The last resort being uninstall/reinstall.

Both of these will wipe all your jobs, logs and settings etc. You can try the first version which is the initialise from the gui. This can sometimes fail as it is re-initialising the vldb files that are already there. I know there's a support article about how to move the database files out the way and create a new one from scratch but I haven't needed it for so long I haven't a link. CA should be able to provide it though.

Flaky databases was one of the reasons we shifted over to Backup Exec.

Comment

Thanks for replying.

Yeah - I understand where you are coming from. We have been using Arcserve for 10 years and I have migrated it across three servers.

When I installed the new version on our present server last year I did a new install but had all sorts of problems with the caroot account. After a lengthy phone call with their support team trying all sorts of methods to fix it I closed the call and wiped the installation, then installed again which worked.

As we were also switching over to LTO3 from DAT72 I created a new media pool so there would be no confusion with number sequences. I run a database maintenance operation every day which prunes records older than 60 days and also tests the integrity of the database.

I ran a test restore this morning and restored 5GB of data successfully from the first tape used for the full backup that failed this weekend. I am obviously reluctant to try a test restore of the database as the sql files are backed up onto the second tape and I don't want to risk overwriting a good copy with a potentially bad one.

Ideally, I would like to be able to determine the process that is shutting down the socket and closing communication between the agent and the server.

I may also download and run a trial of Backup Exec. I take it there should not be a problem installing it alongside Arcserve?

Thanks again for the help

Comment

You may have some issues trying to run both products at the same time as they both run services which claim the drive. Backup Exec also prefers to install its own device drivers over manufacturer drivers.

When we were switching over we would stop and disable all the arcserve services whilst we were testing Backup Exec. Once we were happy we'd uninstall ArcServe.

With regards to the automatic database maintenance - we found that was actually the cause of most database corruption so as a rule we went straight in and removed it.

Comment

Thanks - I would completely disable Arcserve during any testing. As you probably know, there is no need to install tape drive drivers when using Arcserve as, like BE, it uses its own, so that would not be a problem.

Interesting comment about the automatic DB management. What was the last version of Arcserve that you used? I know that the maintenance was improved substantially with V12.
              Last edited by Blood; 4th May 2011, 12:22. Reason: edited for spelling and grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                Thanks - I would completely disable Arcserve during any testing. As you probably know, there is no need to install tape driver drivers when using Arcserve as, like BE, it uses its own, so that would not be a problem.
                The difference with BE is that is actually installs its own drivers for the tape drive. I've always believed - though haven't actually checked - that these replace whatever is installed in device manager for the drive.

Interesting comment about the automatic DB management. What was the last version of Arcserve that you used? I know that the maintenance was improved substantially with V12.
                I think v12.5 was the last one we used. There are still a couple of clients with it.

Comment

Thanks. I'll have a good look at BE.

Your help and advice is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X