No announcement yet.

career advice

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• career advice

Dear Members,

Maybe someone could give me some advise as i feel like banging my head against a brick wall. My first ever IT position i thoroughly enjoyed as IT/Technican system admin in the UK which i did for 4 years.

I then moved to Brussels where i landed a position as a support technician which i thought was an interesting postion, it ended up being helpdesk which i did for approximately 18 months.

I then landed a position with another company as Data admin which was low level mixture of windows share accesses mainframe basically still helpdesk desk functions user creations high volume of phone calls, during this time i tried to start an MCSE training for XP/2K3 (still on xp after 2 years which is embarassing). I suffered depression due to volume of work and the constant pressure i put myself under in studying the MCSE.

i returned back to work after my 3 weeks off with depression my boss wanted to have a discussion with me which was all positive whom stated to me that i was taking on too much and proposed to move me to a 2nd line security team, i wasnt really interested as i purely wanted a position which gave me hands on with windows servers but i thought this would be better than what im doing.

When i started this new position i was was promised that i would be involved in projects as well as performing operational functions. The projects in the 1st year in my role was not that interesting, Now ive been in this role for over 1 year and im constantly doing operational tasks.

I would like to get back into system administration within Brussels, the stuff that i have been learning during the 70-270 i am starting to forget what ive learned and feel like my career is falling apart. I feel annoyed frsutrated and depressed what should i do to overcome this? I feel like quitting my job.
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

Re: career advice

Can't say much except to offer sympathies.

Think about getting more skills and qualifications yourself (unless you can get your employer to pay ) and get your CV out to various sites just to test the market. With 8+ years of experience, you should be pretty attractive to employers, especially if you are miltilingual and willing to travel
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Have you discussed your career goals with your boss? You don't say whether or not you have.

If you've not, then do so. You will most likely find that he is keen to help his staff achieve their goals.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Is there a possibility you can proactively take on more interesting tasks at your company? But if you do, be sure to get someone to take over some of your current responsibilities, so the work load does not get too high.

Have you asked why you aren't involved in more projects like you were told you could be?

What was boring about the other project ?

The other thing is - if you're finding the pressures based on the volume of work, and the training, is too much, (which it seems your boss suggested) then there's two options:
          Less work, or less training.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point