Legality of Portable Apps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legality of Portable Apps

Can anyone give any vaguely definitive answer on the legality (or otherwise) of portable apps, specifically Internet Explorer?

I am consulting with an organisation that is still at IE6, and has no upgrade plans. My ideal solution is based around Sharepoint 2010 which has no IE6 support (doesnt mean it won't work, but MS say "unsupported")
    Possible solution would be to use IE8 Portable (no installation required, and no traces interfering with the rest of the system.
    In theory, there should be no licensing issues but want to be sure -- next step is to get three answers from Microsoft and choose the most favourable.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Legality of Portable Apps

I am sure you have informed them of the "security holes" in IE6 that can compromise their network. Since IE7, IE8 & the so far crappy IE9 are free, what is their objection to updating? Are they still running Windows 98?

Doesn't answer your question but may give you an outsiders prospective.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Far from a definite answer but this is my opinion on it. If it doesn't come from MS then I'd be skeptical about it. I haven't actually read it but I am sure it probably mention in the eula somewhere about repackaging (I am assuming No code is altered during it as well).

Here is an interesting discussion (check the last few comments)
      http://www.symantec.com/connect/arti...virtualization
      Best thing to do imo is to contact them directly and see what they say.
      Last edited by L4ndy; 20th April 2011, 19:38. Reason: add url ...
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Chris,
        It is UK Govt so unlikely to upgrade until real version is about an order of magnitude higher
        L4ndy,
        Looks interesting --- I had considered AppV but that doesnt support IE. Budget may be an issue, though
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X