No announcement yet.

Backup Exec 2010 with SBS2008 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Exec 2010 with SBS2008 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status

Hi All,

Ive been on the symantec sites and googled to my hearts content there is a solution out there but it doesnt work properly. It seems if there is a problem within the shadow copy service it causes backup exec to error with E000FED1 and the soltution to restart your server and check the vssadmin list writers.

Ive done this countless times and after restart checked everything is ok - which it is, and then the backup might work or it might not. I check the VSSADMIN list writers and all is fine there.

Its running Backupexec 2010 SP1 on an SBS 2008 SP2 box.

Thanks guys!

Re: Backup Exec 2010 with SBS2008 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status

I've seen VSS problems on servers that are either lacking in disc space or memory.

There was also an issue with Exchange backups where Exchange has to be the first thing to be backed up otherwise it causes problems.

What AOFO options have you got selected in the backup?

Have you checked that both VSS services are running? - "Microsoft Shadow Copy Service Provider" and "Volume Shadow Copy"

Can you post the actual backup log so that it shows exactly where the error is ocurring?

How about previous versions on the shares - do they work?

Comment

Re: Backup Exec 2010 with SBS2008 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status

In answer to your questions, within backupexec and the AOFO options nothing is selected this option is not in use.

I have checked the services and both services are set to manual with the "Microsoft Software Shadow Providor" service not running and the "Volume Shadow Copy" running.

Previous versions work fine at the server end but on the client seem to take ages. I havent left it to see if it eventually gives me the option to restore. Heres the error log:

I have attached the error log and the error within event viewer is:

Information Store (2584) Shadow copy instance 2 aborted.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.
      Thanks for your time on this
      Attached Files

Comment

The log references "Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service" so what happens if you start up that service manually before the backup runs?

Comment

Ive run batch file which re registers the dll files n bits so will keep an eye on that and see what happens. If that fails (so far it hasnt) I will try the starting the service prior to the backup and see what happens.

Thanks for your help on this - fingers crossed it'll be ok.

Comment

Just for the heck of it, check to see what account the VSS services are running under and check the account that the backupexec services are running under and see if there are any disk quota entries for these accounts. I'm pretty sure SBS2008 implements disk quotas by default and I've seen this cause problems when trying to run Windows Updates and I'm wondering if this is causing a problem for the VSS writers or backupexec when trying to create the VSS snapshots. It's a long shot but worth a look.

Comment

Ok so I checked these services - both of which are no longer running but the backup has been working fine. Last time I checked (and this was when it wasnt working) volume shadow copy was running. Our schedule is at 7 and 12 and I looked at 15:00.

Im wondering if the shadow volume process hung in the running position and this is whats causing it to nobble our backups? The fact that I have been restarting the server to make it work again sorts that running service out. And depending on if the service locks with "running" results in whether the backup job completes or not - any thoughts?

Thanks

Comment

I wouldn't have thought so. One of Symantec's first bits of advice is to ensure that both services are started and running. Sometimes they don't start properly or in time for BE (or something likel that) so having them already running rules that out. I have had it make a difference in the past.

Out of curiosity, what batch file did you run? We deal with that many servers running BE that its bound to come in handy one day.

Comment

Just to expand a bit on joeqwerty's post, and another case of SBS breaking the rules, I've never been able to get consistent and reliable backups with any account other than the built-in Administrator account on SBS. Which is normally a huge Backup Exec no-no and goes against MS best practice as well.

VSS is the blackest of black arts though. I had a case logged about 2 years ago for a similar fault on Server 2003 with BE 12.5 and after about 3 months of investigation the fault cured itself and never returned. We never did get to the bottom of it sadly, and the server is now decomissioned.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

We always use a separate Backup Exec account for backups - however we find that it works best if specified at the time of install. Creating it later requires granting extra permissions manually, Log on as Service and something that has the word Batch in. These need to be done even if you've copied the administrator permissions exactly.

I could go through about 40 odd servers that have Backup Exec on that work fine. There are maybe three or four that sporadically throw out VSS errors. One is due to the server being old and in need of replacement. Another the customer didn't want us to spend time fixing it because they were happy that the backups mostly worked. I can't think of any others off hand though.

Comment

Just as I thought it was going well it failed last night. I cant see it being quota's - Ive checked and there are no quotas on disk space but there is on message box size. Also if it was quota'd then it would fail all the time not randomly?

As per which account is it running under and which account are the services running under - backup exec runs as admin and the services are running as local system account.

Ive attached the fixvss script as it may help some people - unfortunatly not me
                      Attached Files

Comment

Just to update ths thread - I think I have it nailed. I re-created the backup policy and it "seems" to be working - for now. No doubt as per many forum messages it'll come back to haunt me but for the time being its working. Shame a known issue doesnt really have a proper fix - but oh well.

Comment

Working...
                        X