Imaging to different laptops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imaging to different laptops

We're currently testing FOG in our environment, and we would like to create a master image for several laptops. Altough they're all Intel based, they're different brands (Acer, Lenovo, Dell, HP) with different graphics, wireless, bluetooth and such. What's the best solution to install all drivers on master image and then deploy that image with least effort in post configuration to other laptops?

I've found some topics online, but none of them helped me much (since some .msi or .exe drivers just won't install if the hardware isn't right and so on, for example I'm creating master image on Lenovo laptop and need to install Dell drivers. I know that multiple images would resolve this, but we would like to keep 1 image for all, since we will create images for every OS (x86/x64 versions of XP, Vista and 7)

Re: Imaging to different laptops

What's FOG?
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

For those that don't know FOG, I assume you mean this - http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/

Presumably you're looking to clone an already-installed OS?

I'd suggest looking more at deployment of the OS installers using RIS/WDS or alternative PXE systems rather than cloning, since cloning still requires administrative interaction to do such things as change the SID for each machine.

You can add as many drivers as you want to RIS/WDS images and those that are required will be installed.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes, I'm looking to deploy pre-installed OS (XP, Vista, 7) only with drivers, 1-2 programs and some options set up (RDP enabled, power options tuned and so). Can WDS on 2008R2 deploy XP with multiple driver configuration?

Comment

I believe so, haven't tried it. I'd steer clear of anything open source, particularly if you have WDS available. WDS is designed specifically for this type of scenario.

IIRC it's Dynamic Driver Provisioning you need to look into, been a while since I did anything with WDS.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks, will look into it, since we already have a domain in place and licences for Windows 2008 R2

Comment

Working...
            X