Autodesk Vault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autodesk Vault

Anybody here supporting Autodesk Vault? Particularly version 2011 and particularly if you're using Windows-integrated authentication rather than maintaining a separate list of usernames/passwords within Vault.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Autodesk Vault

Not too sure if I can help but we have Solidworks EPDM vault. Authentication via the DB as opposed to AD - ask away and if I can help I will.

Comment

Ahem..... moved to Misc forum as more appropriate than Coffee Lounge
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Posted to the Coffee Lounge as I was just looking for informal chat and rantings rather than support

I supported SolidWorks at my last job and was SO GLAD TO GET AWAY FROM IT
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Did you implement EPDM or just use the software? Not a great fan of EPDM and chatting to the users they hate Solidworks - as far as I know its a cheap solution to mechanical engineer designing??

Comment

Both.

Yes SolidWorks is hideous to use and considerably cheaper than other products on the market.

My current company is moving from a combination of 2D and 3D CoCreate Drafting / Modelling and OneSpace PDM to Autodesk Inventor and Vault. Not cheap...

SolidWorks and Catia are both developed by Dassault. I'm sure they deliberately make SolidWorks so fundamentally useless to encourage you to switch to Catia
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Does the company you work for just design or manufacture also? Im currently trying to find a solution for our stock control and assigning hours against jobs - a right pita!

I think all the packages have pro's/cons as I dont use the software it doesnt really effect me like that.

Comment

Design and manufacture. For stock control you really need an ERP / MRP system. A PDM system won't do that.

One of our sub-companies has already whinged at me that they can't use it as a CRM system...

Part of what I'm doing is working with a team of developers to implement a major extension to Vault to link it in with our MRP system (Visibility).
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Yeah thats what I thought, I was looking today at OpenErp as an idea, our budget is none existant at the mo. Also Sage CRM could be a potential. My manufacturing industry knowledge is none existant Ive been working in education for the majority of my career.

The learning goes on

Comment

Access database with an ASP front-end for the CRM. Stock control could be the same or an Excel spreadsheet.

Problem solved and compliant with your budget
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Bit of a cheeky ask but you havent got any pointers on how I can achieve this. The spreadsheet would hold our complete stock and then how would I link the ASP front end to the workbook.. Sounds like a mission, Im keen to learn how to implement but knowing nothing about ASP could be a stopper. Thanks

Comment

Access Database, not spreadsheet. Better would be SQL Express / MySQL etc.

Doesn't have to be ASP, just suggested that as it's supported natively by IIS. You can add PHP / JSP support to IIS or you could use other languages like RoR or ColdFusion.

As for how to achieve it, hundreds of tutorials and examples out there.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

I suppose half my battle is understanding what we are trying to record/achieve. After I have worked that out then its onto the learning. I like the idea of sql express - just not the idea of battling with it Having sql as the back end I could also integrate with our PDM system for client names etc - now theres a thought.

Thanks again
                          Last edited by 5habbaranks; 28th March 2011, 14:41.

Comment

What PDM are you using and what database platform is it on? Silly to install SQL Express if you already have SQL Server or something similar in place, assuming you're able to use that to host another database.

As for SQL Express, again lots of information on the web about setting up and using it. It's no harder than any other DBMS and only a little more complicated than using an Access back-end.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

We're using full blown sql 2008 but I want to keep them seperate for the time being as it will be a steep learning curve where I dont want to effect the day to day working of the users so having a seperate DB/system for now will be wise.

The only time Ive used sql is to query rather than to setup and configure. When it was installed it was by following the instructions - if I can spend some of my own time learning and creating some sort of stock control based around sql then I would imagine as the PDM system is SQL based we can have some sort of integration - I guess I'll see.

Im frantically googling for some sql documents to get the ball rolling - should be interesting

Comment

Working...
                              X