IT Transition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT Transition

What's the best way to transition IT functions and responsibilities over from one party to another?

Story:
    My boss, who's been at the company for years, just put in his 2 week notice. He obviously knows everything about every system, and is essentially the sys/network admin. Myself (windows side) and the other IT guy (network side) are the only other IT guys in the company (say around 100 employees). We have various forms of documentation, but most of it is just informational rather than for troubleshooting or explanations of WHY things are setup the way they are (see this thread for an example).

Myself and the other IT guy have been there < 1 year, so there's a lot of knowledge transfer that needs to be done in a very short amount of time. There's certainly a bunch of stuff that we've never been shown or haven't looked into since the boss handled it as part of his responsibilities. So myself and the other IT guy have set up a slew of meetings with our fleeting boss on every topic we can think of to prepare for his departure, and documentating it all along the way.

We already have gold / 4 hour support from most if not all of our vendors, and aside from the great resources on this site and across the net, I have consulting friends in town, so even if the shit hits the fan we should be good, but still... Any suggestions / recommendations for a situation like this?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: IT Transition

Can you keep the boss on a retainer to provide support to you if need be?

SHadow him for a day or two making lots of notes

Pick some key systems and processes and braindump him in detail on them
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: IT Transition

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Can you keep the boss on a retainer to provide support to you if need be?
      Nope, moving out of the area.

SHadow him for a day or two making lots of notes

Pick some key systems and processes and braindump him in detail on them
      That's why we have the meetings set up, to get that info.

Comment

Working...
      X